This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Reports to: Production Manager
Direct Reports: Production Department Heads (jointly with the Production Manager)
Theatre Technical Crew
Intern PM/TD (jointly with the Production Manager)
Liases with: Producer
Sagebrush Venue TD
Venue Services Director
WCT Staff at all levels
Western Canada Theatre (Kamloops, BC) is a regional theatre and produces a season of plays in two theatres, the Sagebrush and Pavilion Theatres, in addition to managing operations for the Sagebrush and operating the Kamloops Live! Box Office.
WCT is searching for a Technical Director as we approach our 18/19 season. The TD is an integral part of the production team and works extremely closely with the Production Manager and Producer.
• Works with Designers of all WCT productions to realize designs while keeping within budgetary constraints set forth by the PM and Producer;
• Costs shows and creates project budgets with the PM;
• Works closely with all Department Heads and Stage Management, to disseminate information from designers of all WCT productions, from preliminaries to finals;
• Manages the build process in all departments, in close collaboration with the PM and Producer;
• Ensures the overall health and safety standards of all departments are kept up to date and are being followed;
• Designs and builds all special effects for WCT productions;
• Responsible for the maintenance & organization of WCT’s production facilities at the Pavilion & Bunker;
• Manages volunteer labour within production departments when applicable;
• Assists production departments with builds as required and when time permits;
• Assists the execution of WCT’s special events;
• Manages any equipment rental requests and acts as a technical resource to other arts community organizations.
• Responsible for ongoing maintenance of all production equipment at the Pavilion Theatre.
• Offers technical support for rental events in the Pavilion Theatre
• 2 years demonstrated experience in professional technical theatre and/or formal training in technical theatre;
• A strong understanding of modern stage equipment including lighting, sound, rigging and theatre construction techniques;
• Proficient with various IT applications including Microsoft Office suite and Vectorworks;
• Excellent interpersonal skills, tact and diplomacy – able to respond in a positive and helpful manner to a variety of stakeholders;
• Strong supervisory skills to lead staff and make decisions;
• Highly organized and able to prioritize effectively to work to meet rigorous deadlines;
• Has knowledge of health and safety legislation (in BC and/or other jurisdictions) and be able to implement and follow company safety policies and procedures;
• Able to manage multiple projects on finite timelines and budgets with the ability to creatively problem solve while maintaining a positive attitude;
• A valid Class 5 Driver’s License,
• Able to work a flexible schedule that includes some evenings, weekends, late nights and early mornings as the production schedule may dictate.
• LE or FE electrical certification is an asset.
This is a full-time, salaried position. The position is based on 40-hours per week, and hours may vary, as production needs dictate. As a manager, overtime is banked and taken as time in lieu.
The TD has the opportunity to pick up additional calls at the Sagebrush on non-WCT events, when possible.
Salary range is $39-45k per annum, and will be commensurate with experience and education. Ideal start date is mid-August, 2018.
WCT is pleased to offer a generous benefits package, flexible work schedule, ticket benefits and more.
Kamloops is our home, and is a great place to live and work. We offer you the opportunity to thrive in a city that boasts a reasonable cost of living, gorgeous terrain, active lifestyle, and of course, the sunny weather of BC’s Southern Interior. For more information visit Kamloops.ca
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, résumé and references by
Friday, July 20, 2018 @ 5pm
Bill Chabassol, Production Manager
Western Canada Theatre is committed to diversity in the workplace and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Due to the volume of submissions, we thank all who express interest in this position; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary: 39-45,000 per annum, commensurate
Bill Chabassol, Production Manager
Western Canada Theatre entertains, educates, and enriches the community of Kamloops and region, as it has for over 40 years, and also reaches across Canada in co-productions and on tours. Creating work of the highest artistic calibre and taking creative risks, we are constantly exploring and innovating. As the largest professional theatre in the southern interior of BC, WCT animates the creative energy of our artistic community by supporting the work of local artists, and by providing education and training to the artists and audience of tomorrow. Providing our diverse community with the best in a broadly based theatrical repertoire, WCT investigates classical theatre, premieres new Canadian work, produces entertaining musicals and family experiences, and represents the cultural mosaic we live in, with a particular focus on the First Nations of the region.