This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
The Production Manager is an essential liaison between The Grand’s clients and the production team. They are responsible for ensuring that all productions and events at The Grand are organized and realized to highest standards. Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Production Manager is responsible for the following:
- Working with the Technical Director to plan and oversee all production elements for rentals, special events, Resident Company presentations, and The Calgary Grand Society presentations.
- Ensuring that all schedules and activities in the venue are in compliance with the Collective Agreement with the International Alliance of Stage and Television Employees, local 212.
- Contacting rental clients and Resident Companies in advance to determine scheduling and crew needs.
- Scheduling and communicating with Department Heads (lighting, sound, and stage).
- Scheduling and communicating with casual crew and running crew.
- Ensuring that calendars and schedules are up-to-date and accurate.
- Acting as the liaison between clients and Department Heads during load ins, set ups, rehearsals, events, strikes, and load outs.
- Assisting Front of House in liaising with clients to ensure all relevant information is provided.
- Providing labour and rental estimates for potential clients as requested.
- Supporting clients in adhering to schedules and budgets.
- Ensuring the casual crew list is up-to-date.
- Working with the Technical Director and Department Heads to prioritize a safe workplace by implementing safety policies and procedures.
- Ensuring that all members of the Production Department hold current Standard First Aid with CPR certification.
- Ensuring that the Technical Director and Department Heads have current Fall Protection and WHMIS training.
- Supporting the Operations Manager in keeping the building in good repair.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Post-secondary education in theatre production or equivalent training.
- A minimum of 3 years relevant management experience in a theatrical setting.
- Extensive experience creating production schedules.
- Proficiency with Microsoft office, specifically with Microsoft Excel and spreadsheets.
- Working knowledge of IATSE agreements.
- Experience working with and leading a unionized crew.
- Working knowledge of all aspects of technical production.
- Current First Aid with CPR certicifaction, WHMIS certification, and Fall Protection training are an asset.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- A flexible, customer service oriented attitude with a commitment to supporting a variety of events to the highest level.
- Proven ability to manage direct reports.
- Diplomatic written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team environment.
The Grand encourages a team-oriented environment. All personnel are required to participate in a wide range of activities to support and promote the venue. This may require taking on additional responsibilities from time to time that may be outside the Core Responsibilities and Duties for each position.
This position commences August 1st and will be part-time (20 hours per week) for the month of August in order to allow time for onboarding and training with the outgoing Production Manager. Full time employment will commence September 1st.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Salary: $48,000 - $52,000 annually plus benefits
Please submit a cover letter and resume references in a single PDF by email to Fiona Kennedy, Operations Manager, . No phone calls please.
The Grand is a rental venue with two theatre spaces: the 436 seat Flanagan Theatre and the Studio, a black box style rehearsal and presentation space. The Grand is home to two Resident Companies, Making Treaty 7 Cultural Society and Black Radish Theatre, and welcomes the Calgary community to create and aspire in our space.