This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
The Production Manager is an integral link between the staff and the guest artists. They are responsible for ensuring that the vision of the artist is brought to life on stage and that the process of doing so is done in a respectful and efficient manner, by pulling together the talents of a wonderfully eclectic mix of people. They are depended on for creating a budget that effectively allows a production to come to full fruition on stage which aligns with the vision, mission and values of the company. The Production Manager will run a full team of technical personnel which consists of four shop heads, four running crew heads, and Technical Director, and reports directly to the Executive & Artistic Director (EAD).
We are looking for an energetic and collaborative leader that can hit the ground running and rally the team around our key priorities.
• Artistic Team Member
- Assist the Executive and Artistic Director by addressing the needs from a production point of view while programming decisions are being made
- Negotiate, contract and direct seasonal Designers, Stage Managers and their teams
- Lead communications between Artists and production departments to ensure the artistic vision is realized in a healthy and safe working environment
- Interpret and implement the artistic vision of the Artists hired to design, direct and perform at ATP and ensure ATP’s artistic integrity is upheld
• Financial & Budgeting
- Prepare and administer annual production specific budgets
- Prepare and administer annual production department capital and overhead budgets
- Prepare and budget annual venue, shop, office and storage facilities usage and communicate this information to stakeholders
- Create and track all production department purchase invoices
- Manage and facilitate the operational needs as related to venue, shops and equipment, storage facilities and shared spaces and sometimes the office
- Liaise with Arts Commons and resident companies at meetings as the ATP representative
- Manage all key requests
- Create drawings of the venue as it transforms (seating layout, thrust re-build, rentals etc.)
• Crew Management & Scheduling
- Hire and lead nine direct reports including eight Department Heads and a Technical Director
- Conflict resolution
- Lead all production meetings
- Manage the timesheets for Stage Managers and all IATSE members to ensure prompt and accurate compensation
- Contribute to a positive work environment on stage and in the workshops
- Perform performance reviews for eight Department Heads and the Technical Director
- Create all seasonal, production, build and running schedules
- Book and advance all third party rentals in the Martha Cohen Theatre and rehearsal hall
- Invoicing of all third party rentals
- Administer ATP’s profile on any external platforms
- Sit as a member on the joint OH&S committee
- Partake in the annual inspections of spaces under purview of the OH&S Committee
- Secure and manage the necessary licenses as required to legally run a production, including firearms, open flame, capacity, vulnerable sector, first aid, fall protection, etc.
• Strategic & Long Term Planning
- Develop new, and maintain existing relationship between ATP and local and national designers
- Visit with high schools, and post-secondary institutions to maintain a connection with the community and to grow our call roster into the future
- Create and manage all buy-back and storage policies as they become necessary
- Oversee the ongoing inventory work being performed by ATP department staff
• Stakeholder Relations
- Negotiate and administer the ATP / IATSE Local 212 collective agreement
- Administer the ATP/ Arts Commons Occupancy Agreement
- Administer the PACT agreement as it relates to ATP and its Stage Management Teams
- Co-administer the ATP/ Theatre Calgary Co-ownership Agreement
Education and Experience
- 5+ years relevant management experience in a theatrical setting.
- Strong budgeting experience in both, creation and administration.
- Working knowledge of either AutoCAD or Vectorworks.
- Proficient with Microsoft office, specifically with Microsoft excel and spreadsheets.
- Working knowledge of IATSE and ADC agreements.
Skills and Abilities
- A can-do attitude and a willingness to go above and beyond when necessary.
- Experience working with and leading a unionized crew.
- Exceptional communication, supervisory, and technical skills.
- Strong, proven ability to manage, coach and mentor direct reports.
- Strong organizational skills, including balancing multiple responsibilities and effectively meeting deadlines.
- Proven ability to work independently as well as within a team environment.
- Being adaptable and able to work in a changing environment.
- Available for evening and weekend work.
Salary: $52,500 - $65,000
Please email a letter of interest and resume by email to Darcy Evans, Executive & Artistic Director. Review of applications will begin April 5th at 5:00 p.m. MST. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Alberta Theatre Projects is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community. We believe in equity and inclusion and strongly encourage submissions from all qualified individuals regardless of gender, age, race, sexual orientation, and physical ability.
Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. For more information about Alberta Theatre Projects please visit our website, www.albertatheatreprojects.com.
Alberta Theatre Projects is in its 47th Season producing live, professional, contemporary theatre in Calgary, Alberta. ATP has a new Executive & Artistic Director who brings a fresh perspective and a compelling vision for the future of our organization.
“We are inventive, contemporary storytellers engaging our world through stirring theatrical experiences.”
Our Mission is to CREATE live theatre by telling relevant stories that reflect our community, to DEVELOP the work of Canadian artists to invite a diverse audience, and to EXPLORE intimate and immersive experiences in our home, the Martha Cohen Theatre.
The 2018-19 Season received outstanding reviews from theatre-goers and critics alike with the Calgary Herald calling our work “world class”. The season recently concluded with our final production, The New Canadian Curling Club receiving rave reviews and breaking single ticket sales records. Alberta Theatre Projects will return to 6 plays in three different seating configurations (Proscenium, Thrust, & Cabaret) for our recently announced 2019-20 Season: The Wedding Party, Disgraced, The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe, Old Stock: A Refugee Love Story, Actually, and Cowgirl Up.