This is a Seasonal, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Province: Vancouver, British Columbia
Position: Production Electrician
Deadline: August 6, 2021
Posted: July 9, 2021
Job Description / Duties
Ballet BC is looking for an experienced, team oriented professional to assume the role of Production Electrician for the 2021-22 season, beginning October 2021 through May 2022. Reporting to the Director of Production, the Production Electrician is responsible for the coordination and implementation of lighting elements of the company’s programming and touring in line with the Artistic Director’s vision, and company mandate and objectives.
The successful candidate must have extensive experience in current and traditional stage practice, with a solid background in stage electrics, demonstrate proficiency with lighting networks and protocols, operation of ETC lighting consoles, high proficiency with moving light and LED programming, and efficiently organize and supervise crew. The candidate will possess a capacity to meet the demands and challenges of the creative process, the flexibility to work on the preparation multiple programs simultaneously with the capacity to adjust priorities as needed to complete the work required. The candidate will also require a strong work ethic, excellent communication skills, a capacity to work self-directed, supervise a team and contribute to a collaborative and positive environment.
• Attend all scheduled production meetings and critical studio runs as required
• As required, prepare production paperwork that will be necessary for the house crew
• To work with the Lighting Director and Technical Director assigned to the production to create the lighting package, using as much of the in-house lighting, in each venue as possible.
• During the production period, to be responsible for participating in and overseeing the load-in, installation, focus, performance and strike of Ballet BC’s productions.
• The Production Electrician Programs and operates the Company Lighting Console during all rehearsals and performances
• To be available for preparatory work at both the Company’s warehouse, offices, and at lighting rental facilities as needed.
• In conjunction with the Lighting Director, ensure full updated documentation of the following: Lighting plots and paper work, Cues and focus notes, Lighting Console file back up and tracking sheet export
• Coordinate with the Ballet BC Director of Production, oversee the Venue production staff
• Maintain budget expectations for Ballet BC productions
• Work with the Director of Production in preparation for touring, venue review, production presentation adjustments, inventory and logistics preparation and production staffing review
• Communicate with touring venues, regarding lighting and set up of the program, to ensure the programs integrity within the parameters set forth in the venue rider
• Custom lighting elements – construct within their capacity custom lighting requirements or construction supervision of custom lighting elements for new creations
• To ensure that the warehouse, lighting equipment are inventoried, organized and maintained to a high standard
• To assist with the moving, load-in, construction, repair and tear-down of program equipment during production periods, as may be required in studio or other rehearsal venues
• To oversee truck loading, unloading, shipping and receiving at the warehouse and Venues in which Ballet BC is performing
• Maintain a clean, safe and secure working area at all times
Qualifications / Required Skills
• Under graduate degree, or equivalent training from an institution specializing in Stage Lighiting
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the field as a Production Electrician / Console Operator
• Competency in all aspects of current stage and event lighting practice
• Highly proficient with EOS family of lighting consoles
• Proficient with Vectorworks, and lightwright
• Fully knowledgeable with lighting plot drawings and lighting paperwork
• Critical and logical thinking, analysis and reasoning
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently and as part of a team effectively, with varied personalities, and many work styles
• Accuracy and attention to detail
• Strong written and verbal communication
• Familiar with labour collective agreements
• Class 5 driver’s License
• Valid Passport
• Microsoft office proficiency, with an emphasis on Excel
• Additional industry recognized certifications (ex; fire arms, pyro, rigging or electrical)
Salary: Weekly Salary $1150.00 - $1200.00 plus 4% vacation
Applicants are invited to apply by sending a cover letter and resume (pdf attachments please) via email addressed to:
Applications will be accepted until 5pm, Friday August 6, 2021
We thank all applicants for your interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Contact Name: Derek Mack
Contact Email: HR@balletbc.com
Contact Phone: (604) 732-5003 xtn 216
Ballet BC is a creation-based company of talented dancers from Canada and around the world that is committed to exploration and collaboration in contemporary dance. Solidly grounded in the rigour and artistry of classical ballet, with an emphasis on innovation and the immediacy of the 21st century, the company presents a distinct and diverse repertoire of the most sought-after Canadian and international contemporary ballet choreography.
While presenting a season of three productions in Vancouver the company continues its commitment to perform highly acclaimed productions on regional, national and international tours.