This is a Seasonal, Full-time position.Category: Production
Province: Calgary, Alberta
Position: Production Assistant
Deadline: August 6, 2019
Posted: July 25, 2019
Job Description / Duties
The Production Assistant provides required support to the Director of Production and Technical Director in the provision of technical production support of Calgary Opera’s production, education, outreach, and special event activities. The Production Assistant also provides administrative and facility related support.
Qualifications / Required Skills
• Technical Theatre Diploma from a recognized Technical College or University, or experience working in a technical capacity in the theatre community.
• Physical ability to bend, stretch, reach, lift 30 kilograms without strain
• Ability to work at heights (on ladders and scaffold)
• Ability to work within established deadlines and prioritize tasks
• Ability to work unsupervised
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, which includes evenings and weekends
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Attend staff and production meetings
• Take minutes at production meetings
• Perform regular facility interior and exterior checks on the Mamdani Opera Centre Facility.
• Between janitorial company services – check all washrooms and ensure all supplies are in place and garbage is emptied if required.
• Check for burnt out light bulbs and replace (interior and exterior)
• Be responsible for the cleaning and maintenance of the rehearsal hall, storage areas and basement. This includes emptying garbage, sweeping mopping as required.
• Perform minor carpentry duties
• Cleaning as required
• Check general wear and tear and ascertain appropriate action required
• Manage inventory of all janitorial supplies
• Ensure exterior of building is cleaned up of any garbage etc.
• Cardboard, paper recycling
• Provide technical support to renters in the area of lighting, projection, and audio as required. • Assist in set up and tear down of renters’ activities.
• Act as liaison with all renters to ensure requirements are met for each rental.
• Set up and take down rehearsals for chorus
• Administrative duties such as:
• Research for DOP and TD’s
• Drafting of invoices and rental agreements
• Inputting calendar information
• Hang, patch and focus theatrical lights in the Mamdani
• Set up and run audio for special events and rentals in the Mamdani
• Audio mixing of events at Mamdani
• Set up and operate projectors as required
• Assist in maintenance of the warehouse and contents as required
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; and nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
• Valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence and clean driver’s abstract is desirable.
• First Aid, FAC, Fall Arrest Certifications desirable but not required.
• Knowledge of basic lighting, video (projection) and audio
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Knowledge of CAD or Vectorworks desirable but not required
Salary: $680-$720 per week, based upon experience
Director of Production
Calgary Opera serves our entire community with innovative and inspiring operas in a multitude of forms and venues, and through educational activities and the training of young Canadian artists, while developing our people and managing our operations in a fiscally sound and efficient manner.
Calgary Opera aspires to be a leader in the opera field, known for its intensive collaboration with arts organizations of all sizes, a thoughtful balance of traditional classics and more alternative works, and a mix of larger-scale and smaller artistic projects. The company will rely on a network of diverse sources to recruit artistic and operational talent, with a strong commitment to develop and showcase top Canadian talent.
Calgary Opera is dedicated to:
• Promoting interest, awareness, and attendance of the operatic art form
• Presenting classic and contemporary operas, and other musical entertainments, at an extremely high performance standard
• Training and development of high-potential emerging artists
• The recruitment, development, and presentation of exceptionally talented performers, composers, librettists, directors, and designers, with emphasis on Canadian talent
• Childhood education and exposure to opera
• Telling Canadian stories through new works