This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Production
YPT is currently searching for a candidate to fill the position of Head of Wardrobe. The Head of Wardrobe will report to the Director of Production and Technical Director.
• Facilitate and manage the costume realization process for all produced shows: from preliminary and final designs through pre-production, construction, fittings, technical rehearsals, opening, performance run, and closing wrap-up.
• Budget and cost all produced shows.
• Source materials for all produced shows.
• Liaise with relevant departments to ensure communication of wardrobe and production needs.
• Oversee and schedule wardrobe department employees, contractors and volunteers to realize costume designs up to and including fittings, technical rehearsals and show running maintenance.
• Oversee and coordinate the day-to-day operations of the wardrobe shop, its staff and its equipment and supplies.
• Assist guest presentation companies with wardrobe maintenance and emergencies.
• Oversee and coordinate wardrobe warehouse stock and rentals.
• Assist and participate in all YPT Education & Participation and Development programs and events as they relate to Production.
• Other duties as assigned.
• A post secondary degree or certificate in a theatre arts or fashion arts program or 5 years equivalent work experience.
• Minimum of 3 years experience as a Head of Wardrobe in a small-to-medium sized performing arts organization.
• Thorough working knowledge of the wardrobe design process.
• Knowledge of wardrobe construction techniques.
• A strong understanding of wardrobe fabrics and notions.
• A working knowledge of wigs, make-up, masks, shoes and fabric dyeing.
• Excellent coordination and organizational skills.
• Ability to work collaboratively and lead in a team environment.
• Creative problem solving skills a must.
• Proficient computer knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and internet research.
• Good working knowledge of the Toronto area in terms of shopping for wardrobe fabric and supplies.
• A valid and current Class G Driver’s License and a clean driving record. Having own vehicle for work use is an asset.
In accordance with YPT’s policy of screening all adults involved in working with children, the applicant will be required to provide a resumé and cover letter, undergo an interview by at least two people, a reference check and, if offered employment, a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check. Offers of employment are conditional upon providing a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening Check and agreeing to abide by YPT'S Child Safety Policy and Code of Conduct.
Interviews with qualified candidates may begin prior to that deadline. While we thank everyone who applies, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This is a Seasonal Full-Time position.
Young People’s Theatre is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer and strongly supports and values diversity in the workplace. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply. Interested parties should apply with cover letter and resumé, detailing all relevant experience to:
Head of Wardrobe Search
Young People’s Theatre
165 Front Street East
Toronto, ON M5A 3Z4
Young People’s Theatre (YPT), celebrating its 50th Anniversary Season in 2015/16, is Canada’s largest theatre for young audiences. It currently produces and presents a 9-play season with an audience of approximately 70,000. Housed in a renovated, historical venue in downtown Toronto, YPT works on a 468-seat Mainstage and a 115-seat Studio stage as well as operating a year-round Drama School. Its operating budget is approximately $5 million. The family-friendly employee culture at YPT (given that hours are primarily daytime) encourages ingenuity, team-work, and an atmosphere of learning. YPT’s artistic policy focuses on arts and education – in fact, learning is at the centre of everything we do.