This is a Permanent, Part-time position.Category: Technical
The Head Technician will support the Kay Meek Centre in presenting a broad range of theatre, dance, music, film, and community events in the areas of lighting, sound, and set installation. Reporting to the Technical Director, the Head Technician supervises and participates in production set-up and strikes, acts as lighting/sound operator for events, provides direction for crews as needed and participates in maintenance of theatre equipment. The Head Technician performs ongoing duties and tasks as assigned by the Technical Director and assists the Technical Director and Executive Director in all technical and maintenance issues relating to the Kay Meek Centre and its ongoing activities.
Job Duties and Tasks, include but are not limited to:
Provides technical assistance to Kay Meek Centre’s Technical Director and support to Kay Meek Centre and its clients:
• sets up and operates all theatre equipment for productions;
• maintains a variety of equipment (lighting, sound, rigging and fly gallery, tools and equipment);
• performs maintenance and repairs; cleans stage;
• when requested, participates in production meetings;
• supervises and enforces safety procedures of all users;
• manages and leads technical crews.
• advises staff of theatre cleaning and maintenance needs;
• when requested, assist with theatre technical documentation;
• maintains a high degree of confidentiality.
Completed a Diploma program in Stagecraft at a recognised post-secondary institution with at least two years related work experience in a wide variety of theatre related areas such as sound, lighting, and rigging or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
• Complete knowledge of professional sound and lighting Systems
• Comfortable operating digital audio mixing consoles
• Experienced in programming and operating ETC Ion lighting consoles
• Working knowledge of other theatrical areas, e.g.: rigging, carpentry, projection, QLab
• A desire to keep abreast of present and new trends / practices, in the industry
• Experience operating technical systems for live performances.
• Good working knowledge of English (written and verbal), and good interpersonal and communication skills with community users, professional artists, students and staff.
• Capable of manual labour and is comfortable on catwalks, ladders and man lifts.
• Ability to work independently with minimum direct supervision and as part of a team, lead and manage technical crews, and establish priorities and achieve deadlines.
• Holds a valid WCB Level 1 First Aid certificate
• Holds a valid LPEC certificate
Work Schedule: flexibility of work hours is required; schedule is set by Technical Director according to rehearsal/performance and maintenance needs. This position is part-time, as needed with a minimum 20 hours a week guarantee. Expect hours to be significantly higher during busy weeks/months due to show and booking needs.
Salary: $26/hr + overtime + benefits package
Please submit cover letter, resumé and the names and phone numbers of 3 references attached as a PDF or Word document, by 5pm on August 22, 2017 BY EMAIL ONLY to to the attention of Hiring Committee: Head Technician.
Please note in your cover letter where you saw this job posting.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview are contacted. No telephone or walk-in inquiries please. All applications are considered confidential. The Kay Meek Centre for the Performance Arts is an equal opportunity employer.
The Kay Meek Centre in West Vancouver seeks an experienced part time Head Technician. Since opening its doors on November 6, 2004, the Kay Meek Centre has grown and developed into a cultural jewel for West Vancouver and the North Shore. Our mission is “to produce, provide and present excellent performing arts experiences and opportunities for our community and beyond.”