This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
This position is a unionized role under the local I.A.T.S.E. agreement. This is a permanent seasonal position that typically starts in September through May (33-25 weeks). Start Date: Fall 2014
Under the direction of the Technical Director, the Head Stage Carpenter supports the planning and execution of show set-up, operation and stage maintenance while ensuring a safe environment for patrons, artists and crew. This position plays a key role in determining labour requirements, while supervising and providing overall guidance and leadership to all stage employees, designers and craft departments. Additional responsibilities include:
• Attend production meetings as required and participate on the Health and Safety Committee
• Maintain the stage in a clean, orderly and safe condition and ensure that all stage work is done in the safest possible way. Adhering to Manitoba health and safety regulations and MTC safety policies
• Keep abreast of technology and developments in the industry
• Other duties as assigned
• Graduate of an accredited theatrical training institution or equivalent experience.
• Minimum ten years’ experience in the theatre industry.
• Thorough knowledge of stage craft, theatrical rigging, scenic carpentry, basic stage electrics, and theatrical automated systems.
• Experience in scenic coordination and theatrical flying.
• Ability to read technical and working drawings.
• Ability to effectively troubleshoot equipment, identify hazards and problem solve in a high paced environment.
• Self-motivated and able to work independently or as part of a team.
Typical seasonal year is September to May. Monday to Saturday work week.
Position also runs the theatre rental season in May and June.
Interested candidates should submit a resume to:
Russell Martin, Director of Production
Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre, 174 Market Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 0P8
The Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre is Canada’s oldest English language regional theatre. Each season, Royal MTC produces ten plays (six at the John Hirsch Mainstage and four at the Tom Hendry Warehouse), the Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival, a Master Playwright Festival, a vibrant Theatre for Young Audiences program, an annual regional tour, and numerous special events and projects throughout the year.