This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
Lorraine Kimsa Theatre for Young People (LKTYP) is currently seeking a Head of Props. This is a seasonal full-time position (September through mid May), under the supervision of the Production Manager and Technical Director. The Head of Props will:
• Serve as the buyer or builder for the Props department, or designate a buyer or builder in their place.
• Supervise the sourcing and construction of props for LKTYP productions, as well as outside productions, when the LKTYP prop shop has been contracted to do so.
• Supervise Prop Department in staffing, schedules, and budgets.
• Organize and maintain Prop Shop supplies and materials, and will be responsible for the general cleanliness and safe working state of the Prop Shop.
• Instruct Prop Shop staff in the proper use of equipment and the appropriate safety equipment.
• Work with Set and Prop Designers on all LKTYP Productions and provide advice to specific construction techniques.
• Maintain flow of information between designers, technical director, stage management, and other production staff.
• Co-ordinate rentals from the LKTYP prop stock, and will be responsible for the general maintenance of said stock.
• Attend all production and staff meetings as required.
• Assist other LKTYP production departments with advice and technical aid.
• Other duties as assigned from time to time.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIRED SKILLS:
• Graduate of a recongnized theatre program and a minimum of 3 years experience as a Head of Props, Props Builder or Props Buyer with a producing theatre company.
• Broad working knowledge of props construction techniques as they relate to materials (wood, plastic, fabric, paper, etc).
• Proficient computer skills with Word and Excel programs. Computer Graphics knowledge would be an asset.
• Experience with show costing, budget tracking, material purchasing, and equipment replacement.
• Experience creating production schedules and managing shop staff.
• Stong interpersonal and leadership abilities and ability to meet deadlines.
• A Valid Ontario Class G Driver’s license (or equivalent) will be required.
• Experience in adhering to health and safety in the workplace.
Interested candidates should respond in writing with a resumé and covering letter by:
3:00pm on Thursday, June 24th, 2010 to:
While we thank everyone who applies, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Lorraine Kimsa Theatre for Young People
165 Front Street East
Toronto, ON. M5A 3Z4
Lorraine Kimsa Theatre for Young People (LKTYP) is Canada’s largest theatre for young audiences and currently produces and presents an 8-play season with an audience of 80,000+. Housed at a renovated, historical venue in Toronto, LKTYP works on a 468-seat Mainstage and a 115-seat Studio. Its operating budget is approximately $3.5 million. LKTYP’s artistic policy focuses on arts and education -- in fact, learning is at the centre of everything we do.