This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
To provide excellent technical and instructional support to the artists and the clients and community of the Yukon Arts Centre. The successful candidate will have extensive experience working with live sound operations and consoles, basic fly system and stage skills and theatrical lighting systems. She/he will have a well-rounded experience in all areas of technical theatre that compliments the requirements of our renters and facility. The person will work along side the Technical Director and the current full time technician completing the team of three amigos!
1. Assist in all areas of theatre production support including:
- Setting stage lines, mics, monitors and instrumentation. Operation and mixing of live shows.
- FOH console is a Soundcraft Vi6, Monitors consoles include: A&H GL2400, GL3800 or GL4800
Electrics. Hang, focus and lighting board operations.
Flies. Rigging and operation of counter weight fly system.
Carpentry. Basic stage and shop carpentry.
Video. Basic set up and operations of projection systems.
Set Up/ Strike. Assist as required by each show and event.
2. Operate the facility independently as directed by the Technical Director.
3. Perform regular and seasonal maintenance and upkeep to all theatrical equipment.
4. Ensure all working areas are well maintained, clean, tidy and organized.
5. Assist in areas of technical management. Meet with clients to review show needs.
6. Assist in the training and development of local volunteers wishing to assist in technical capacities at the facility.
7. Assist with the occupational safety and health of co-workers and audience members.
8. To enjoy the process and have fun with the YAC team.
Required Knowledge and Skills
1. Stagecraft diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution with a minimum of 1 year related professional work experience. Extensive work experience may negate the need for a diploma. (IE: you do not have to attend school to be good at what you do)
2. Professional experience working in related theatre production areas particularly with live sound mixing and operation, theatre lighting, focusing and operation and theatrical stage work. We are looking for a pair of good ears for out live presentations.
3. Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimum direct supervision, which compliments their capacity to work with other team members.
4. Experience working in a roadhouse facility with a wide variety of events and short turn around time.
5. Demonstrated ability to work and assist a wide range of art and performance types including live music, theatre, dance, choirs, variety shows and corporate presentations.
6. Experience with assisting and working with community and semi-professional arts groups with attention to patience, understanding and consideration.
7. Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and achieve deadlines.
8. Demonstrated ability to work in a safe and timely manner.
9. Ability to work at heights, climb ladders, lifts 50 pounds and skill with power tools.
10. The candidate must have strong communication skills; good time management skills, flexibility and approach each situation with diplomacy.
11. Literate with computer systems and software. (Window XP, Mac OS, Vectorworks)
12. A good sense of humour is a useful asset.
Our professional season will include: Live opera broadcasts from the MET in New York, various film festivals, the hosting of Western Canada Music Awards (WCMA) in October 2011, the hosting the Arctic Winter Games of 2012, a wide variety of live musical acts (pop, jazz, classical, new music), modern dance from Quebec, ballet from Atlantic Canada, crazy theatre and comedy. Our season will be formally announced later this summer.
The Yukon is a wonderful part of Canada and is home to a diverse community. Athletes, graphic designers, outdoor enthusiasts, journalists, artists, musicians, writers, poets, actors and directors are big part of population and are recognized across Canada for their skills. The Territorial government understands the importance of the arts and culture and provides significant funding to support the community’s development.
Links of interest:
Please provide a cover letter with a detailed resume listing related experiences with dates and location. We encourage all members of the community to apply. The Yukon Arts Centre is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all those that take the time to apply. We will contact those that best meet the listed qualifications.
Salary: $41,000 plus benefits
Yukon Arts Centre
Office: 867 667-8568
Fax: 867 393-6300
The Yukon Arts Centre is a not for profit charitable organization that is dedicated to the development of the arts as an important cultural, social and economic force in the Yukon. We intend to be model for the development of the arts in the north and a stimulus for a vibrant and creative Territory. We are seeking a like-minded team player that can help us achieve our goals: an enthusiastic, innovative and skilled individual who will fill the position of Full Time Theatre Technician specializing with Live Sound operations.
Visit the Facility!
Please click here for images of the facility