This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Management
Province: Calgary, Alberta
Position: Director of Development
Deadline: August 3, 2021
Posted: July 19, 2021
Job Description / Duties
WHO YOU ARE
Alberta Theatre Projects seeks a passionate Director of Development to lead the team responsible for building the future of our organization. This is a unique time for Alberta Theatre Projects and this role provides a great opportunity for someone looking to create a set of systems and plans for a robust contributed revenue strategy. You are excited by the idea of prospecting new donors, managing the pipeline of prospects, and stewarding existing relationships.
Armed with a new CRM software system and a baseline of development initiatives, you’ll join a culture that values innovation in new fundraising product and program administration, while maintaining relationships with a community of ardent supporters. This role is responsible for building on our longstanding corporate sponsorships, driving individual fundraising efforts, and leading fundraising events and special projects. Reporting to the Interim Executive Director, the Director of Development will create and execute both short-term and long-term strategic fundraising plans and oversee planning for corporate stewardship and individual giving events.
This is a unique time to join us as you will be responsible for all fundraising operations – from building yearly development strategies to managing tax receipt distribution – allowing you to take total ownership of this key department at Alberta Theatre Projects.
WHAT YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR
- Work with the Interim Executive Director to enable the creation and implementation of multi-year fundraising strategy and campaigns, including working collaboratively with the organization as a whole, and the Board of Directors
- Develop annual fundraising targets and department budgets, as well as multi-year projections
- Identify, prospect and cultivate new individual and corporate donor relationships to achieve revenue goals
- Strengthen and renew current sponsor relationships
- Steward relationships with existing donors
- Lead the creation of messaging and materials to promote development initiatives
- Work with cross-functional partners in Artistic, Front of House, Marketing & Communications, Production, and the Ticket
- Office to execute development initiatives
- Identify grant opportunities and prepare applications in conjunction with the Interim Executive Director
- Act as power user for donor CRM system (Spektrix)
- Oversee administration of donor data and recognition, including processing of donations and tax receipting
- Lead all fundraising events
- Mentor development staff and contractors as they are hired
- Assist in other organizational initiatives as requested by the Interim Executive Director
- Act as a member of senior management team
Qualifications / Required Skills
WHAT YOU BRING TO ALBERTA THEATRE PROJECTS
- 7+ years of experience in development with a proven track record in cultivation and successful solicitation of corporate sponsorship and individual gifts, including 2+ years leading a fundraising department
- Outstanding communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Innovative & self-motivated, with the ability to manage a variety of projects and experiment with cutting-edge ideas
- Track record of success in guiding, preparing and supporting board members and executive staff in cultivating and asking for contributions from individuals
- Knowledge of legal parameters for development ecosystem, including CRA and AGLC requirements
- Confidence in approaching new sponsors and donors
- Excellent relationship management skills
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office products & CRM software, preferably Spektrix
- Strong, proven ability to manage, coach and mentor direct reports
- Proven ability to work independently as well as within a team environment
- Experience working on the administrative team for a non-profit arts organization, preferably in performing arts
- Ability to travel within the city and within Canada on occasion
This position requires a flexible work schedule due to operational needs of Alberta Theatre Projects and events taking place in the Martha Cohen Theatre, including evening, weekend, and holiday work.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER
This role is part of the administrative staff group and receives benefits as set out by staff policies. Annual salary range for this role is $75,000 - 80,000. Alberta Theatre Projects is working hard to become an employer of choice and we’re looking forward to being your choice employer through flexible hours, work from home opportunities, and a team environment.
To apply please email a letter of interest and resume by email to Kyle Russell, Interim Executive Director, email@example.com before 8:00 a.m. on August 3, 2021. All applications are held in strict confidence.
Alberta Theatre Projects is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community. We believe in equity and inclusion and strongly encourage submissions from all qualified individuals regardless of gender, age, race, sexual orientation, and physical ability.
Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. For more information about Alberta Theatre Projects please visit our website, albertatheatreprojects.com.
Alberta Theatre Projects is preparing for our next season of producing live, professional, contemporary theatre in Calgary.
We create world-class contemporary theatre that blurs the line between the audience and the artist, by telling the most provocative and engaging stories of our time. By embracing the intimacy and unique audience configuration opportunities of the Martha Cohen Theatre, we offer an exciting new experience for our audience with each production.
This is a very exciting time in the history of Alberta Theatre Projects as we look to the future of how our company can be a leader in new play development and producing the finest contemporary theatre that engages our community by reflecting their stories on stage. The Director of Development is one of our senior management professionals, acting as one of our company’s key influencers and championing all contributed revenue strategy.
Building on the legacy of Executive & Artistic Director Darcy Evans, Alberta Theatre Projects is in a high growth phase and we are excited to keep the momentum going as one of our country’s leaders in professional theatre and we can’t wait for you to join us on this journey. This role is targeted to start as soon as possible.