This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Other
DJD is looking for an Artistic Assistant, a right hand for Artistic Director Kimberley Cooper. The ideal candidate is an experienced dance artist who knows and loves jazz, has expertise as a rehearsal director, and possesses strong management and administrative skills. The Artistic Assistant will work closely with dancers, choreographers, designers, musicians, technical staff and the Artistic Director to coordinate multiple aspects of the company’s training, rehearsals, performances and tours.
This is a full-time, seasonal, contract-based position for 36 to 45 weeks per year. The Artistic Assistant reports to the Artistic Director.
- Support the artistic director and choreographers in the process of creating the choreography
- As rehearsal director ensure the performance integrity of all new creations and remounted repertoire
- Coordinate and supervise all rehearsals
- Participate in the scheduling and realization of all theatre, tour and special events performances
- Act as communications coordinator for all artistic and technical staff
- Coordinate and administrate all dancer training
- Manage dancers’ contract obligations
- Monitor the health and safety of the dancers
- Represent the company in person and through written documents in a variety of milieus
To apply, please send cover letters and resumes to email@example.com before 6 pm MST, November 9th 2015.
- Passionate interest in and informed overview of dance, music and art
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of jazz music and dance
- Respect and enthusiasm for DJD’s mission
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Calm, selfless and generous demeanor
- A sharp eye and proficient rehearsal director skills
- Organizational and scheduling skills
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Computer literacy in Word, Excel, etc.
- Desire to learn
Rooted in the history of jazz dance and music, DJD is constantly innovating and evolving this art form. DJD, a registered charity, is a professional dance company that creates original performances, at least one per year with live music. DJD also offers professional training to those wishing to specialize in jazz dance, outreach programs that educate the community about the history and importance of jazz in North American culture, and is Calgary’s largest recreational dance school.
DJD invites audiences and students to experience how jazz music shapes movement and feeling, to explore the connection between personal expression and collaboration, and to move.