This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
Reporting to the Technical Director, the Assistant Technical Director is responsible for the planning, management and supervision of all technical elements of productions, presentations, and related activities assigned, for the daily operations of Soulpepper Theatre Company and its joint venture the Young Centre for the Performing Arts.
KEY RESULTS & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assume the lead technical responsibility for assigned productions in consultation with the Technical Director; ensure that all technical elements on assigned projects are delivered on schedule and on budget, liaising with designers and Department Heads and troubleshooting technical challenges as required;
• Produce any AutoCAD plans and/or construction drawings and other production paperwork as directed; supervises the building and painting of scenery and decor in the Soulpepper carpentry, paint and prop shops as directed;
• Maintain accurate and up-to-date accounting records for purchases, including the maintenance and reconciliation of petty cash floats;
• Create, maintain, publish and ensure accurate distribution of all Soulpepper show-by-show production schedules as assigned;
• Assist in establishing the labour requirements for lighting, sound, video and scenic elements for all productions as assigned; act as a supervisor for the Young Centre for the Performing Arts’ union House and Casual technicians as directed; schedule and train casual labour as necessary for the Soulpepper production department as directed;
• Maintain, in cooperation with other Soulpepper departments, an accurate inventory and organization of Soulpepper’s storage facilities;
• Produce and maintain a good driving abstract. Arrange and perform the pick-up of production supplies when needed;
• Assist the Production Manager with Young Centre’s facilities and events, Soulpepper Academy and workshop events, as assigned by the Technical Director; facilitate technical support when required for users who may require technical assistance in the Baillie Centre or Young Centre as assigned;
• Participates in the creation, implementation and enforcement of Soulpepper and Young Centre Health and Safety policies; and
• Serve, if called on to do so, on the Joint Health and Safety Committee to internally audit the state of workplace heath and safety of Soulpepper and the Young Centre;
Post-secondary degree from a recognized technical theatre training institution or an equivalent combination of education and professional experience.
Minimum 2 to 4 years’ professional experience in a variety of aspects of technical theatre.
Knowledge of contemporary theatrical construction techniques and materials, advanced awareness of safe and efficient theatrical labour standards, theatrical rigging, typical schedules and timelines for mounting performances of all types. Working knowledge of theatrical lighting, sound, video and production management preferred.
Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office applications;
Superior proficiency in (AutoCAD);
Strong leadership, decision-making, analytical and problem-solving skills;
Excellent planning, organizational, time-management and team building skills;
Strong interpersonal and oral/written communication skills;
Self-starter, detail oriented, flexible;
Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment with multiple deadlines;
Valid Ontario G driving license.
Judgement is required in dealing with the scheduling and time management of union and non union contract and casual employees. Misinformation in reporting to the Technical Director or others could lead to, safety concerns, financial overruns, and/or serious delays which could adversely affect public performances. Work is reviewed by the Technical Director, limiting the potential for misleading errors.
Responsible for managing daily work schedules of union and non-union contract and casual employees; Responsible for reviewing and submitting biweekly contract staff timesheets; Directly accountable for health and safety practices in shops and stages; Responsible for reviewing and submitting accurate accounting records for purchases, including the maintenance and reconciliation of petty cash floats.
Position requires concentration and focus in creating CAD drawings, analyzing designs, costing production projects. Occasional physical effort is required lifting and moving scenery, climbing ladders, loading and unloading trucks, and other typical theatre functions.
Performs duties in a variety of environments, including construction shops, storage facilities, on stages, and regular office environments during flexible working hours.
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience.
Please send cover letter and curriculum vitæ to:
LJ Savage - Director of Production@email@example.com
Application Deadline: Friday, December 30, 2016 @ 12h00.
Located in its multi-venue home the Young Centre for the Performing Arts in Toronto's Distillery Historic District, Soulpepper is Toronto’s largest not-for-profit theatre company. Founded and guided by artists, under the leadership of Artistic Director Albert Schultz and Executive Director Leslie Lester, Soulpepper has an integrated mission which includes: industry-leading youth outreach initiatives; the Soulpepper Academy, Canada's only multi-year paid professional training program for theatre artists of all disciplines; and a year-round diverse repertory season which is grounded in the classics and committed to the creation of new works, new forms and innovative practices.