This is a Permanent, Part-time position.Category: Production
Province: Toronto, Ontario
Deadline: February 16, 2020
Posted: January 27, 2020
Job Description / Duties
Canada’s National Ballet School is currently accepting applications for Casual
Reporting to the Venue Rentals and Front of House Manager, the Ushers are responsible for making patrons’ and clients’ experiences as pleasant as possible through excellent service that is courteous, efficient, and professional, as well as maintaining a clean, safe, and enjoyable theatre environment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Welcoming and directing patrons to the correct or preferred seat location; removing seats for patrons with wheelchairs prior to the house opening, if necessary;
• Assist in lobby and Front of House setup for internal and external theatre events;
• Handing out programs;
• Assisting patrons (especially those with mobility issues) in evacuating the theatre in case of emergencies; being familiar with emergency evacuation procedures and exits;
• Opening and propping doors to the house at the top of intermission and at the end of the performance; directing patrons during intermission;
• Assisting with audience exiting the theatre after performances have finished;
• Resetting the theatre and lobby after performances have finished (picking up programs, resetting arm rests, sweeping the lobby, reporting any broken seats or cleaning issues to Front of House Manager);
• Assembling programs, setting up tables, chairs, linens, etc. for events;
• Other related duties as required and assigned.
Qualifications / Required Skills
• Minimum secondary school diploma; Post-Secondary education in Theatre or a related field is a definite asset;
• At least 1 year of experience in retail or a customer service related position;
• Ability to work well with others in a team environment;
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
• Customer service skills to interact with patrons, donors, parents, and the wider community;
• Self-starter with effective problem-solving skills;
• This position requires standing for long periods of time; work schedule may include evening and/or weekend shifts;
• First Aid/CPR certification, as well as training and/or experience working with children would be considered an asset.
Successful candidates must supply Canada’s National Ballet School with a Police Reference Check in accordance with the School’s Child Abuse/Sexual Abuse Prevention Policy; this will be coordinated through Human Resources at NBS.
Qualified applicants should email applications, including resume and cover letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Usher – Jan. 2020” in the subject line of your email by February 16, 2020*.
*Consideration of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Canada’s National Ballet School is located at 400 Jarvis St., Toronto, Ontario M4Y 2G6.
Please visit www.nbs-enb.ca for more information.
NBS is committed to providing accessible employment practices, in compliance with the AODA. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, applicants are asked to make their needs/requirements known.
NBS thanks all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Salary: $15.00 per hour
Ready to make your mark in the Arts?
Established in 1959, Canada’s National Ballet School (NBS) is one of the world’s foremost training institutions for aspiring young dancers and teachers. Attracting students from across the country and around the world, NBS is the only ballet academy in North America to provide elite dance training, academic instruction and residential care on the same campus. The School’s progressive curriculum, with its emphasis on the physical and emotional well-being of the student, has put NBS at the forefront of dance training internationally.
Making dance relevant to all persons through its philosophy of ‘sharing dance’ sees NBS engaging a diverse mix of participants, from school children to people living with Parkinson’s Disease, in both on and off-site classes.