This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Management
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity is seeking a Technical Director, Performing Arts to oversee and manage all technical and production elements of productions, presentations, programs and related activities across Banff Centre.
Reporting to the Managing Director, Production, below are some key responsibilities:
- Lead responsibility for performing arts productions, ensuring all technical elements on assigned projects are delivered on schedule and on budget;
- Determines the necessary technical supports, such as lighting, sound, staging, and special needs, necessary for events and performances;
- Oversees and approves the set-up, maintenance, and operation of Lighting, Sound Staging, Projections and Rigging systems for Theatre, Dance, Music Programs, Presentations Conferences and Outreach;
- Oversees and approves the set-up, maintenance and operation of Scenic, Paint, Wardrobe, Props and Hair & Makeup shops;
- Advises on the technical specifications, costs and usage of technical equipment required for individual shows, and supervises the implementations of approved technical designs;
- Supervises set and stage construction and management;
- Monitors the condition of equipment;
- Develops, prepares and controls budgets;
- Maintains inventory and orders specialized supplies;
- Develops capital purchase plan of technical equipment;
- Manages staff and faculty in performing arts technical and production areas, shops and venues including external crew as required;
- Prepares and oversees schedule for technical and production areas;
- Analyses and fulfills technical riders for shows;
- Responsible to create CAD drawings, analyzing designs, costing production projects, maintaining technical documentation, CAD drawings, and other records as necessary for productions/presentations
- Plan and manage practicum program ensuring timely recruitment and ensuring supervisors and mentors are meeting training objectives.
- Direct the design and development of practicum group events/training sessions, as appropriate.
• Recruit for practicum faculty and guest speakers as required.
- A Degree or Diploma from a recognized Educational Institution in Technical Theatre;
- Minimum of ten years professional experience as a Technical Director;
- Minimum of five years professional experience supervising in a unionized stage environment;
- Knowledge of structural and mechanical construction for the stage, both materials and techniques, including welding, rigging and painting;
- Knowledge of hydraulic, pneumatic, and electrical systems;
- Thorough knowledge of lighting, sound, video and theatre rigging;
- Working knowledge of current safety standards and the implementation of same;
- Product, material, pricing, and logistics research skills;
- Experience fulfilling technical and touring riders of touring of productions;
- Experience with all of types of live performance including theatre, dance, and music;
- Experience in mounting outdoor events;
- Ability to read and produce technical drawings and schematics;
- Knowledge and practical experience using Microsoft Office;
- Strong personnel scheduling, and management skills;
- Knowledge of purchasing and accounting procedures;
- Strong ability to develop show production budgets;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work on multiple projects with tight deadlines and a positive attitude while working under pressure;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Minimum Class 5 Driver’s License and experience in loading and driving a 5 Ton Box Truck.
Candidates offered a position with the Centre, in this capacity, will be required to obtain a criminal record check verifying a clear record before a final job offer can be finalized.
This position requires the candidate to be available to work a flexible, irregular schedule and weekends when required.
Salary: $70,000+ Eligible for benefits and pension. Salary commensurate with experience.
Founded in 1933, Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity is a learning organization built upon an extraordinary legacy of excellence in artistic and creative development. What started as a single course in drama has grown to become the global organization leading in arts, culture, and creativity across dozens of disciplines. From our home in the stunning Canadian Rocky Mountains, Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity aims to inspire everyone who attends our campus – artists, leaders, and thinkers – to unleash their creative potential.