This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
YPT is currently searching for a candidate to fill the position of Technical Director. The Technical Director will report to the
Director of Production. This is a full-time position.
• Management of all technical requirements for all YPT productions in consultation with Production Department heads, directors and designers.
• Oversee the costing of YPT productions, in consultation with Production Department heads.
• Co-ordinate the build schedules for YPT productions, in consultation with Production Department heads.
• Co-ordinate and supervise all fit-up, strike and maintenance calls for YPT productions and events, including union and non-union staffing in consultation with Production Department heads.
• Work closely with designers, directors, Stage Management and production staff to ensure all YPT productions are realized and meet the highest artistic standards within the constraints of YPT’s schedules and budgets.
• Maintain and update theatre drawings and technical specifications and be responsible for forwarding this information to design teams for YPT productions.
• Co-ordinate all technical and staffing requirements for all shows presented by YPT, and for rental and partner companies.
• Assist with building operations and facility maintenance as assigned by management.
• Assist and enthusiastically participate in all YPT Education & Participation programs and events, including occasional mentorship and teaching to apprentices and students.
• Act as alternate to Director of Production on senior management team when necessary.
• Other duties as assigned by management.
• Graduate of a recognized theatre program and a minimum of 3 years experience as a Technical Director with a producing theatre company.
• Comprehensive working knowledge of all production elements used by a large producing theatre.
• Strong drafting (Vectorworks and AutoCAD) and computer skills.
• Experience with show costing, budget tracking, material purchasing, and equipment replacement.
• Experience in creating production schedules and managing large crews.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, collaborative and leadership skills and ability to meet deadlines.
• A Valid Ontario Class G Driver’s license (or equivalent) will be required.
• Thorough knowledge of health and safety regulations and experience in adhering to health and safety in the workplace.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends, particularly during tech period and performance runs.
In accordance with YPT’s policy of screening all adults involved in working with children, the applicant will be required to provide a résumé and cover letter, be interviewed by at least two people, complete a reference check and, if offered employment, obtain a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check. Offers of employment are conditional upon providing a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening Check and agreeing to abide by YPT'S Child Safety Policy and Code of Conduct.
Young People’s Theatre is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer that strongly supports and values diversity and fosters an equitable and inclusive work environment which includes accommodation. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome, and people with disabilities and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
Interested parties should apply with cover letter and résumé detailing all relevant experience to:
Technical Director Search
Young People’s Theatre
165 Front Street East
Toronto, ON M5A 3Z4
Application Deadline is December 9, 2016
Interviews with qualified candidates may begin prior to the deadline.
While we thank everyone who applies, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Young People’s Theatre (YPT), which celebrated its 50th Anniversary Season in 2015/16, is Canada’s largest theatre for young audiences. It currently produces and presents an 8-play season with approximately 80,000 patrons. Housed in a renovated, historical venue in downtown Toronto, YPT works on a 458-seat Mainstage and a 115-seat Studio stage as well as operating a year-round Drama School. Its operating budget is approximately $5 million. The family-friendly employee culture at YPT (given that hours are primarily daytime) encourages ingenuity, team-work, and an atmosphere of learning. YPT’s artistic policy focuses on arts and education – in fact, learning is at the centre of everything we do.