This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Province: Calgary, Alberta
Position: Technical Director
Deadline: May 30, 2019
Posted: May 21, 2019
Job Description / Duties
The Technical Director is responsible for managing the technical production-related aspects of all Calgary Opera productions and events.
Qualifications / Required Skills
• Degree or Diploma in a recognized professional training program
• Minimum 3 years’ experience as a Technical Director in Opera or Regional Theatre
• Experience working with Union crews
• Experience in a theatre with a counterweight fly system
• Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes some evenings and weekends
• Ability to communicate with directors, designers, administration, stage management, suppliers and vendors
• Proficient in Microsoft Office and Vectorworks
• Knowledgeable in theatre lighting, audio, scenic construction, scenery and rigging practices.
• Valid Canadian Driver’s licence, clean driving record (capable of driving a 5 ton is an asset)
• Current Fall Arrest, Scissor Lift, First Aid and WHMIS
Duties and Responsibilities
• In consultation with Director of Production, the Technical Director negotiates technical support, contracts and coordinates all personnel, equipment, and services related to physical productions all Calgary Opera productions and events.
• Coordinate shipping logistics for production rentals
• Assist Director of Production in developing production budgets as well as monthly budget reconciliation and forecasting.
• Maintains production records, updates rental information for productions, manages, production rental inquiries and rental contracts
• Act as the set up and strike supervisor for all Calgary Opera productions
• Sets production schedule in coordination with Director of Production
• Supervises the work of the Assistant Technical Director and Production Assistant
• Researches and coordinates purchases and construction for all productions, outreach and special events
• Working closely with the Designer, provide costing, construction drawings, and develop scenery construction and painting schedule
• In conjunction with Stage Management, ensure the smooth and accurate integration of all technical elements into each show in the rehearsal process and performances.
• Supervises load-ins, load-outs, technical rehearsals, performances and special events, creates crew calls for shows and determines labour needs.
• Sits on negotiating committee with regard to contract negotiations with I.A.T.S.E.
• Responsible for inventory of warehouse, maintenance of contents, which includes repair and /or refurbishment of sets and props.
• Acquisition of lighting and additional gear needed for production and events.
• Drawing, drafting and distribution of plots, including rail, for shows and for onsite set constructions
• Act as construction team leader for all set construction projects
• Attend all technical rehearsals and performances.
• Be responsible for the approved acquisition, maintenance, loan and rental of all Calgary Opera lighting, sound, video (projection), stage equipment and accessories.
• Provide support, where possible with facility related issues/repairs/rentals.
• Stay abreast of current trends in lighting, sound, scenic construction, and special effects technology.
Start Date: June, 2019
Salary: $55,000-57,000 per annum, contingent on experience and qualifications, plus benefits.
Director of Production
The company’s Emerging Artist Program is the only one of four designated annual National Training Programs funded through Canadian Heritage in all of Canada, which provides 8 young artists the opportunity to learn through an intense program of vocal coaching, acting, performances, touring and one-on-one training with experts in the opera world.
Furthering community outreach, Calgary Opera brings opera to younger audiences through school tours in Calgary and northern/southern Alberta, and the Let’s Create an Opera program allows schools to conceptualize, create, construct, and produce their own opera to Calgary audiences. As well, the company’s For Students Only Dress Rehearsals provides thousands of students with hugely discounted tickets not otherwise available.
On the mainstage, Calgary Opera produces a subscription season of three full-scale operas at the 2,400-seat Jubilee Auditorium, complimented by a series of opera-related events and fundraisers.
The Mamdani Opera Centre is Calgary Opera’s administrative and rehearsal home, situated in the Canadian Heritage Site of Wesley United Church, where we also invite other local arts groups to use as performance space.
Calgary Opera is a proud member of Opera.ca and Opera America.