This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
Province: Calgary, Alberta
Position: Technical Director
Deadline: May 10, 2019
Posted: April 10, 2019
Job Description / Duties
Reporting to the Director of Production, the Technical Director is responsible for supervising all aspects of the production during builds, maintenance and while in the theatre and on tour. The Technical Director will assist the Director of Production with the day to day management of the production department, including hiring and supervision of personnel, general organization, scheduling, crew management, expense tracking, build planning/execution and budget management as set by the Director of Production.
- Development and collection of technical information for all performance venues.
- Collaborate with the artistic personnel to ensure that all production elements are provided as necessary for rehearsals and performance.
- Collaborate with designers and other members of the artistic department in the planning and creation of new productions. Plan and coordinate scenery installation, line plots, and lighting. When remounting existing shows without designers present, plan and coordinate scenery and lighting requirements as required.
- Source production equipment and rentals as required.
- Schedule and supervise maintenance of the technical equipment within budgetary guidelines.
- Schedule installation of productions in venues locally and on tour.
- Develop crew calls in accordance with applicable collective agreements by liaising with each venue's technical personnel and provide schedules and calls to IATSE personnel and locals.
- Schedule production transportation and loading and unloading of trailers for tours.
- Supervise load-in and load-outs of performance venues.
- Ensure safe and clean working conditions onstage, backstage and in rehearsal halls.
- Organization of crew movement including arranging for transportation with the Company Manager.
- Arrange training opportunities for production crew.
- Liaise with IATSE on safety practices and pursue granting opportunities.
- Installation of lighting plots as provided when necessary.
- When required, provide adaptation of lighting designs for the various performance venues and execution of documentation required for the designs, including lighting lots, patch, cue sheets, and colour lists.
- Manage guest companies in-venue. Includes setting crew calls and ensuring all technical requirements are within guidelines set by technical riders and set budgets.
Administration & Budgeting:
- Responsible for costing of projects and budgetary management as per guidelines.
- Complete required documentation in an accurate and timely manner.
Responsible for the general organization of information contained within the production department.
- Manage all digital and hard copy files.
- Track all expenses and manage assigned cost centres as required.
- Submit production crew timesheets to the Director for approval.
- Track all labour expenses.
Crew Scheduling & Management:
- Book sufficient crew to satisfy the needs of each production.
- Manage project deadlines as required by the demands of each production.
- Encourage a high standard of execution in production construction and organization.
- Supervise build crew on new builds.
- Hire and manage IATSE crew as governed by the Alberta Ballet Pink and White contracts.
- Create detailed crew schedules for maintenance, builds and truck packs outlining when each individual crew member is required in the warehouse/theatre.
- In conjunction with the Assistant Technical Director, maintain Alberta Ballet's Warehouse including inventory and supplies.
Qualifications / Required Skills
- Good working knowledge of MS Office Suite
- Computer drafting knowledge (Vectorworks or AutoCad ) 3D capability is an asset.
- Knowledge of scenery construction, lighting, audio, video and special effects for the stage.
- 5+ years experience in a performance theatre environment.
- Ability to re-mount established lighting designs from detailed plots and focus/level notes and cue sheets. 2 years of lighting experience required.
- Fully knowledgeable in the operation of all theatrical equipment.
- Extensive background in technical theatre, preferably in a variety of capacities.
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills.
- 2+ years of management experience.
- Experience driving 5 ton trucks an asset.
- Valid First Aid, Fork Lift Certificates
- Must be able to travel with the company between September to May (including December).
- Shift work including evening and weekends
- Required to stand, sit, walk, use hands, hear, speak. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Prepared to use personal vehicle for occasional company business. Reimbursement for mileage provided.
- Primarily required to work at the warehouse when not on site for productions. Will occasionally be required to attend meetings at head office.
Salary: $60,000- $70,000 per annum
Please submit your cover letter and resume through our Careers Site.
To view Alberta Ballet Company Careers Page www.albertaballet.com/careers
For more information on Alberta Ballet Company www.albertaballet.com
Alberta Ballet Company is one of Canada's premier dance companies which is committed to an artistic vision of powerfully exciting dance.