This is a Seasonal, Full-time position.Category: Production
Province: Drumheller, Alberta
Deadline: March 8, 2019
Posted: February 22, 2019
Job Description / Duties
3 positions. Reporting to the Head of Department – Wardrobe & the Production Manager, the Stitcher/Costumer will work under the delegation of HOD to realize the designs of the Costume Designer, this position will also act as a Running Crew Member during Dress Rehearsals and Performances.
- Wardrobe Assistants work with the Costume Designer to serve as a Cutter, Stitcher, general costumer or Dresser as required. These functions may require skills such as hand-sewing, millinery, cobbling, craftwork, dying or painting as necessary.
- Sewing new costumes or assembling costumes from general stock, under the direction of Head of Department.
- Pulling or storing costumes as required.
- Instructing actors on the proper wearing of their costumes and removal of modern accessories (sunglasses, Fitbits, wedding rings, etc.).
- Assisting with construction, alteration, and repair of costume stock (including gluing, sewing, and repairing shoes).
- Assisting with costume pre-sets, dressing, and quick-changes during Dress Rehearsals and Performances (in collaboration with Head of Department and Stage Management).
- Liaising with performers to resolve any difficulties or issues that arise once costumes are distributed.
- Assisting with show laundry each night as required.
- Assisting with end of season strike and winter storage of costumes.
- Assisting HOD the packing up and winter storage of wardrobe stock and equipment.
- May be instructed in the use of the Armoury and asked to clean armour or help distribute armour to performers
- 1 member of this team (TBD) will work soley in the Armoury to distribute and maintain armour and more prop orientated costume pieces
- 1 member of this team (TBA) will not be a dresser during shows but will be in charge of show Maintenance, dealing with show notes from Stage Management, Actors & HOD & building new generic pieces that will be put into stock for subsequent years.
Qualifications / Required Skills
- A minimum of 2 years related training by a reputable Theatre Training Institution
- Experience as a cutter, stitcher and dresser
- A strong understanding of the theatrical process.
- Excellent inter-personal skills both written and verbal
- Excellent conflict resolution skills
- Willing and able to walk the challenging outdoor, 60-acre set
- Must enjoy working in a challenging creative environment with a large group of eclectic personalities
- A valid driver’s license is preferred
- Experience working outdoors is preferred
First Day – May 1st 2019
First Day of Rehearsal – May 9th 2019
Opening Night – July 5th 2019
Closing Night – July 21st 2019
Strike Week (Contract End date) – July 28th 2019
Salary: $7000 - 12 Week Contract
Steven Lafond - Production Manager
Now in its 26th season, the Canadian Badlands Passion Play is an epic musical/theatrical portrayal of the life of Jesus set on Canada’s largest outdoor theatre stage with up to 180 performers on stage. Our 35 member Production team works with the volunteer and paid actor cast to present 9 performance each July to an aggregate audience of over 13,000. We invite you to consider joining us this coming season.