This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Design
Province: Windsor, Ontario
Position: Scenic Designer / Artist
Deadline: August 30, 2019
Posted: August 12, 2019
Job Description / Duties
The purpose of the Scenic Designer/Artist position (SD/A) is to design and paint the scenery, properties, and furniture for the University Players productions. The incumbent translates concepts and ideas from play directors into set designs that help set the tone for each production. He/she plays a role in the process from initial conceptualization to the final product. In this role, the incumbent mentors students in both lab and production settings so they can develop their skills in the craft.
Qualifications / Required Skills
The successful candidate will have:
• BFA or equivalent in Scenic design
• 3 years’ experience designing and painting at the University or professional level
• Proficiency in both traditional drafting and computer aided design programs
• 2 years’ experience working with AutoCAD
• Proficiency with the following software: Current version of Mac OS, Windows 7, Google Sketchup, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and Vectorworks
• Advanced scene painting skills
• Excellent time management skills
• Ability to work both independently with minimal supervision and in a team environment
• Experience in multi-media design/projections
• Portfolio to demonstrate the aforementioned qualifications
• Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends as required
• Ability to work at different sites as required
• Master of Fine Arts in Scenic Design
• 5 years’ experience designing and painting at the University or professional level
• 5 years’ experience working with AutoCAD
Salary: $43.56 / hour
The University of Windsor is a comprehensive, student-focused university, with more than 15,000 students enrolled in a broad range of undergraduate and graduate programs.
The University of Windsor is located next to North America’s busiest international border crossing and looks out on one of Canada’s most beautiful waterfronts on the Detroit River. Windsor is also Canada’s southernmost city and has some of the country’s best weather.
This location speaks to UWindsor’s strength as an internationally oriented, multi-disciplined institution that actively enables a broad diversity of students, faculty and staff to make a better world through education, scholarship, research and engagement.