This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Province: Toronto, Ontario
Position: Interiim Technical Director - Parental Leave
Deadline: February 21, 2020
Posted: February 4, 2020
Job Description / Duties
• Management of all technical activity and expenditures
• Supervision of Production Department staff including Associate Technical Director, Assistant Technical Director, Lighting Co-ordinator, stagehands and scene shop and properties shop staff
• In conjunction with the Director of Artistic Planning and the Production Manager, working with designers, directors and Production Department staff to ensure that all productions are realized to the highest artistic standard, within the constraints of the COC’s schedules and budgets.
• In conjunction with the Production Manager, management of technical budgets including stagehands, set construction.
• Researching and evaluating future season rental productions and co-productions.
• Other related duties as assigned
Qualifications / Required Skills
• Post-secondary education in the technical/production field
• Minimum of five years’ technical theatre supervisory experience including experience working alongside and supervising IATSE union stagehands
• Extensive knowledge of stagecraft, theatre production and scenic construction, rigging, automation, lighting and video; knowledge of opera repertoire an asset
• Skilled in budgeting and personnel management
• Superior organization and communication skills (verbal and written)
• Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and exercise good judgement and initiative
• Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities successfully
• Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with all staff in a professional, confidential and tactful manner
• Good knowledge of health and safety legislation and best practices
• Proficiency in AutoCAD, MS Office, FileMaker Pro
Evening and weekend work is required. This is term position to cover a parental leave.
Salary: $60,000-$70,000 per annum pro rated to the length of the contract
Please email or mail resumes with a cover letter, no later than February 21, 2020 to:
Manager, Human Resources
Canadian Opera Company
227 Front St. E.
Toronto, ON M5A 1E8
Only applications received by February 21, 2020 will be considered. The COC thanks, in advance, all applicants, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls or faxes please.
The COC is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Based in Toronto, the Canadian Opera Company is the largest producer of opera in Canada and one of the largest in North America. The COC enjoys a loyal audience including a dedicated base of subscribers. Under its leadership team of General Director Alexander Neef and Music Director Johannes Debus, the company has an international reputation for artistic excellence and creative innovation. Its diverse repertoire includes new commissions and productions, local and international collaborations with leading opera companies and festivals, and attracts the world’s foremost Canadian and international artists. The COC Academy is an incubator for the future of the art form, nurturing Canada’s new wave of opera creators with customized training and support. The COC performs in its own opera house, the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, hailed internationally as one of the finest in the world. For more information, visit coc.ca.