This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
As the Head Carpenter you will be responsible for overseeing the installation of all scenic elements for Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet, the management of warehouse space including inventory, and Crew Chief responsibilities to the production crew.
• In conjunction with the Director of Production, supervise staff attendance and work, motivation and well-being in order to build an effective team.
• Ensure compliance with all company policies and agreements.
• Organize and oversee the ongoing maintenance of all touring equipment and storage facility.
• Create and maintain complete and accurate show records including show notes, stage plots and show information. Oversee and compile all records from the Heads of Lighting, Audio, Projections, Props and Wardrobe.
• Attend and actively participate in meetings that will promote sound communication, liaison and decision making with Artistic and Technical staff (i.e. production meetings, creations meetings and event planning meetings).
• Schedule and oversee all RWB Carpentry calls including but not limited to: shop days, prep days, load & unloading calls, rehearsals and show calls.
• Produce and manage the distribution of all show and tour related information including but not limited to: venue specifications, hanging plots and scenery setup plans.
• Supervise all load in’s, installs, strikes and load outs for all RWB productions.
• Liaise with Artistic, Stage Management, Production Management, and Department Heads to solve all technical problems with the maximum efficiency
• Extensive travel is required for this position
• Work irregular hours and weekend shifts as required
• Ability to lift and carry heavy loads and stand for extended periods
• Work at heights as required
Education and Qualifications:
• College or university degree or diploma in Theatre Production or equivalent experience.
• Minimum of five years’ experience touring in a theatre or ballet environment.
• Natural Resources Canada Pyro-technician License is desirable.
• Person lift ticket
• Clean driving record
• Clear Criminal Background Record Search Certificate.
• Child Abuse Registry Check Certificate.
Skills and Specifications:
• The ability to organize and communicate information clearly, both verbally and in writing.
• Detail oriented, resourceful and flexible and able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to deliver a message both written and orally to achieve job success.
• Willingness to work with and lead a diverse team of heads of department, and local crew.
• Strong writing, mathematical and analytical skills.
• Working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office and Vectorworks or AutoCAD software.
• The ability to read and create (AutoCAD or Vectorworks) technical drawings.
Please submit your resume in confidence to by August 22, 2016.
Director of Human Resources
Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet
Canada's Royal Winnipeg Ballet enriches the human experience by teaching, creating and performing outstanding dance.
Versatility, technical excellence and a captivating style are the trademarks of Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet, qualities that have garnered both critical and audience acclaim. Founded in 1939 by Gweneth Lloyd and Betty Farrally, the Royal Winnipeg Ballet holds the double distinction of being Canada’s premiere ballet company and the longest continuously operating ballet company in North America. In 1953, the Company received its royal title, the first granted under the reign of Queen Elizabeth II.