This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Management
The Associate Artistic Director will report to and work closely with the Artistic Director in the areas of new play development, programming, outreach, and training. The Associate Artistic Director will be a champion of the Citadel’s desire to be Inclusive, Innovative, and International and an ambassador for the Citadel Theatre, attending productions and conferences as a representative of the theatre.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the successful candidate will actively participate in developing and growing a culture that supports a positive and productive work environment and an engaged team. The Associate Artistic Director is expected to participate in fostering team building, team development and to support the Artistic Director and the Executive Director in policies, programs and practices that drive desired outcomes as stated in the Citadel Theatre’s Strategic Plan.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
New Play Development
• Lead New Play Development for the Citadel, working closely with the Artistic Director envisioning, commissioning, workshopping and developing new work by Canadian playwrights for the Citadel’s main stages.
• Lead the Citadel’s COLLIDER Festival of New Work.
• Build relationships with local and national playwrights.
• Provide dramaturgical support to new work being developed at the Citadel.
• Accept, organize and read script submissions, making recommendations to the Artistic Director about projects and playwrights of interest.
• Assist with writing grants and securing funding for new play development.
• Lead the Citadel’s digital storytelling strategy, including: commissioning and overseeing original narrative podcasts and new works created specifically for online interaction, building partnerships with exciting online storytelling companies and artists, extending the Citadel’s live scripts and productions into the digital space.
• Set and manage the new play development budget in collaboration with the Artistic Director.
• Record keeping, office admin for new play development, residencies etc.
• Work closely with the Artistic Director on all aspects of season programming, including: reading scripts, budgeting, scheduling, attending rehearsals and productions, meeting with playwrights, directors and other creative team members.
• Attending auditions.
• Assist the Artistic Director with animating the Citadel spaces with programming outside of the subscription model (i.e. the Citadel’s House Series of concerts, comedy and cabaret).
• Direct productions and workshops in the Citadel season when appropriate.
• Support the Artistic Director in new artistic endeavors.
Outreach and Education
• Work with the Director of Education and Outreach to create training and professional development opportunities for emerging and professional artists, with a particular emphasis on providing opportunities to artists who self-identify as under-represented.
• Organize and mentor the Citadel’s training program for Assistant Directors.
• Attend productions in the Edmonton theatre community.
• Get to know Edmonton theatre artists and become an active member of the Edmonton theatre community.
Qualifications & Skills:
• Minimum 3 to 5 years working as a professional director and dramaturg on new works.
• Experience working as an arts administrator in a professional setting.
• Demonstrated ability to create and manage budgets.
• Experience liaising with production teams.
• Interest in the professional development of other artists.
• Passionate about inclusive and diverse artistic practices.
• Highly visible leader with a proven track record to successfully lead a team.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with a proven history of effective relationship building.
• Self-motivated with the ability to multi-task, problem solve, and prioritize responsibility in a timely and efficient manner.
• Ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment and lead with positivity while managing multiple deadlines and demands.
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
• Post-secondary degree or diploma, an asset.
This is a full-time term position for a three-year contract beginning on June 29, 2020, and ending on June 30, 2023. Unpaid time away can be negotiated for outside directing projects.
Salary: Salary Range: $50,000 - $60,000 per year, depending on experience.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to email their resume and cover letter including their salary expectations to Human Resources at email@example.com.
Posting will remain open until Friday, March 6, 2020 or until a suitable candidate is found.
The Citadel Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a culture of respect and cooperation with all staff, artists, colleagues, volunteers and internal / external parties. Thank you for your interest but only those persons chosen for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
The Citadel Theatre, one of Canada’s largest and busiest professional, not-for-profit theatre companies and facilities, has an opening for an Associate Artistic Director. This is a full-time, term position beginning on June 29, 2020, and ending on June 30, 2023.