This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Reporting to the Technical Director, the Assistant Technical Director will assist with the planning and administration of the Canadian Opera Company’s technical operations with particular emphasis on future season planning.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Assist the Technical Director in researching rental productions for upcoming seasons
• Participant in the COC rental/space scheduling process (Rentals Meetings)
• Monitor timelines and progress for assigned construction projects
• Manage COC Production Department storage facilities
• Coordinate shipping for COC productions
• Coordinate and manage Production Department work on COC special projects
• Provide technical information as required for rental of COC productions
• Participant in the COC Health and Safety program
• Preparation of COC production hazard recognition paperwork
• Archiving notes and plans in a format suitable for the subsequent re-mounting of COC productions.
• Coordinate the technical aspects of the Richard Bradshaw Amphitheatre Concert series
• Day to day supervision of technical crews as required.
• Attendance at technical and production meetings as required.
• For assigned projects, acting as liaison between the Designers, Assistant Designers, COC Production Department staff, and equipment suppliers.
• For assigned projects, working with the visiting Designers, Assistant Designers and the COC Production Department staff, to ensure that all designs are realized within the constraints of the COC's production schedules and budgets.
• Performing any other related duties that may be assigned to you by the Technical Director.
The candidate should have the following qualifications:
• Experienced with working alongside and supervising IATSE union personnel.
• Post-secondary education in the technical/production field
• Superior organization and communication skills (verbal and written);
• Good knowledge of health and safety legislation and best practices
• Computer literate – MS Office, AutoCAD, FileMaker Pro.
Evening and weekend work is required.
Canadian Opera Company
227 Front Street East
Toronto, ON M5A 1E8
fax: 416 363-2660
The Canadian Opera Company is the largest producer of opera in Canada and one of the largest in North America. The company enjoys an international reputation for artistic excellence and creative innovation.