This is a Permanent, Full-time position.
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Position: Theatre Technician
Deadline: January 7, 2011
Posted: December 17, 2010
Job Description / Duties
Reporting to the Principal, the Theatre Technician will maintain and operate
auditorium equipment and oversee lighting, sound, set construction and
all technical aspects of production taking place within our performance
spaces. The technician will also work collaboratively with staff to
develop production schedules.
Summary of duties:
- Prepare a production schedule for performance spaces in consultation with the Arts departments;
- Set design and construction;
- Lighting design;
- Sound design;
- Provide direction, instruction and training to student crews;
- Provide advice with regards to proper equipment usage and application;
- Maintain inventory of theatre supplies;
- Meet with production staff;
- Maintain and operate auditorium equipment; and
- Remain current with relevant technology.
Qualifications / Required Skills
- Skills related to theatrical lighting, sound and set design.
- Technical skills in drafting, lighting sound and set construction.
- Computer skills.
- Ability to trouble shoot equipment and operation problems.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively (both orally and in writing)
- with staff, community, parents, students and external organizations.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and in a team setting.
- Strong work organization and time management skills.
- Proven ability to work under pressure to meet frequent deadlines.
Candidates must have a two-year community college diploma in Theatre
Arts--Technical Production with one year's experience in technical
theatre or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Hours: Technicians will work 35 hours per week to be scheduled according to program needs.
Work Year: School Year
Salary: $26.06-$30.99 per hour
Etobicoke School of the Arts is a Toronto District School Board secondary school with programs in Dance, Drama, Film, Music, Music Theatre and Visual Arts.