This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
Western Canada Theatre, Kamloops BC, requires a Venue Technical Director for the Sagebrush Theatre beginning Sept 3, 2013. This is a full-time salaried position with benefits on a 10-month contract.
The Venue Technical Director will manage all aspects of Sagebrush Theatre’s technical infrastructure, including the technical staff. The TD will work with the Facility Manager to support the Sagebrush clients while working closely with the General Manager and Artistic Director on long term planning. The TD will ensure the safe working quality of both the facility and staff in accordance with British Columbia Health and Safety guidelines.
• Meet regularly with the Facility Manager to develop a schedule.
• Collect all information regarding rental client needs on a per show basis.
• Schedule staff for all rental and maintenance periods.
• Run shows as needed to help scheduling and alleviate overtime.
• Develop 5 year capital plan with the Artistic Director, General Manager and Production Manager.
• Carry out 5 year capital plan by:
o Collecting quotes for materials and equipment
o Purchase approved materials and equipment
o Plan out and lead the installation of all new materials and equipment.
• Maintain the lighting, sound and rigging systems.
• Be on call to handle any emergencies that may arise during rental or maintenance periods.
• Maintain and organize backstage and other technical areas.
• Hire on-call staff and help in their training.
• Establish a volunteer base and help in their training.
• Three years experience in the professional roadhouse environment working as a Technician or Technical Director.
• Completion of a post-secondary program in Technical Theatre is an asset.
• A solid understanding of modern stage equipment, including ETC console software, DMX, hemp and counterweight rigging, sound and theatre construction techniques.
• An understanding of Digital Audio consoles (Digico SD9) is an asset.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills to deal in a positive manner with user groups and staff.
• Supervisory skills to lead staff and make decisions.
• Be highly organized, be able to prioritize work and meet rigorous deadlines.
• A knowledge of health and safety legislation including WHMIS and ability to follow company policies and procedures relating to technical activities.
• Appropriate first aid training.
• Must be computer literate with knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
• Must be a problem solver and a team player.
• A valid driver’s license is mandatory.
• LE or FE electrical certification is a bonus.
Start Date: September 3, 2013
Please make it clear which position you are applying for.
To apply please send a cover letter, a current CV, and a list of three references.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Western Canada Theatre
P.O. Box 329
Kamloops, BC V2C 5K9
Kamloops BC's Sagebrush Theatre is a fully equipped, 700 seat, fly house managed by Western Canada Theatre on behalf of the City of Kamloops and School District 73. The venue hosts approximately 250 performances a year. Clients include Western Canada Theatre, Kamloops Symphony, School District 73 and a wide range of professional and community performances.