This is a Temporary, Part-time position.Category: Technical
The Technical Director reports to the Production Manager and collaborates with all production personnel to ensure efficient and effective technical operations of the assigned productions. This individual should be a leader who directs work while building engagement and communication with colleagues in their own language. Familiarity with the processes of collaborators and empathy for their needs while adhering to schedules and budgets is paramount. This individual’s interpersonal skills are critical in ensuring the entire production team is successful and supported throughout the process on a pro-active basis.
The Majority of the productions listed below do not require involvement with construction and only involve production meetings during rehearsals. The 2nd Main Stage production (“MS2”) will require complete coordination of and additional competency in rehearsal and construction processes. Candidate(s) who are not available for every production listed below will still be considered;
MS1: A little Night Music
Producer: Patrick Street Productions
Presenter: Gateway Theatre
Rehearsals: Thu Sep 28th – Sun Oct 08th, 2017
Technical Rehearsals: Sun Oct 8th – Fri Oct 12th, 2017
Public Performances: Thu Oct 12th – Sat Oct 21st, 2017
Strike and Restore: Sun Oct 22nd – Wed Oct 25th, 2017
ST1: Sink or Swim
Producer: Happygoodthings Productions
Presenter: Gateway Theatre
Technical Rehearsals: Mon Nov 13th – Fri Nov 17th, 2017
Public Performances: Thu Nov 16th – Sat Nov 25th, 2017
Strike and Restore: Sun Nov 26th – Wed Nov 29th, 2017
MS2: A Christmas Carol
Producer: Gateway Theatre
Rehearsals: Fri Nov 3rd – Sat Nov 25th , 2017
Technical Rehearsals: Sun Nov 26th – Fri Dec 8th, 2017
Public Performances: Tue Dec 5th – Sun Dec 24th , 2017
Strike and Restore: Tue Dec 26th – Fri Dec 29th, 2017
MS3: Salt Water Moon
Producer: Why Not Theatre
Presenter: Gateway Theatre
Technical Rehearsals: Tue Feb 13th – Fri Feb 16th , 2018
Public Performances: Thu Feb 15th – Sat Feb 24th, 2018
Strike and Restore: Sun Feb 24th – Wed Feb 28th, 2018
ST2: I Lost My Husband
Visiting Company: Ruby Slippers Theatre
Host Company: Gateway Theatre
Rehearsals: Thu Feb 15th – Fri Mar 9th, 2018
Setup: Sat Mar 3rd – Fri Mar 9th, 2018
Technical Rehearsals: Sat Mar 10th – Fri Mar 16th, 2018
Public Performances: Thu Mar 15th – Sat Mar 24th, 2018
Strike and Restore: Sun Mar 25th – Wed Mar 28th, 2018
MS4: 9 Dragons
Joint Producers: Vertigo Theatre, Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre and Gateway Theatre
Setup & Rehearsals: Mon Apr 2nd – Fri Apr 5th, 2018
Technical Rehearsals: Fri Apr 6th – Thu Apr 12th, 2018
Public Performances: Thu Apr 12th – Sat Apr 21st, 2018
Strike and Restore: Sun Apr 22nd – Wed Apr 25th, 2018
• Regular and reliable attendance at production meetings.
• Regular and prompt communication with collaborators.
• Analysis of preliminary and completed designs to create work schedules, equipment lists and supply lists.
• Coordinate and facilitate the work of artists such as stage crew, construction crew, designers, directors, choreographers and stage managers as it relates to technical operations during rehearsals, setup, technical rehearsals, strike and restore.
• Supervision, leadership and professional development of artists such as stage crew and construction crew.
• Available on an as-needed basis between technical rehearsals and closing night to troubleshoot issues with stage crew and stage management.
• Consultation and advice regarding maintenance of stage equipment, supplies, operations and capital expenditures.
• Coordinate transportation for deliveries and returns of equipment and supplies.
• Other Duties as mutually agreed.
Candidates need not possess all the qualifications listed below; however candidates will be short listed on the basis of the number and quality of the listed qualifications:
• Post – Secondary education in Stagecraft
• Experience as a Technical Director
• Experience as a Stagehand - e.g.; craftsperson, technician, crew chief or department head.
• Competency in creative problem solving technical and artistic challenges.
• Driver’s Licence – min CL5 to drive company over height cargo van.
• Experience with spreadsheets and Google drive
Assets are not required to be eligible for the position; however any of the assets below will be considered in prioritizing short listed candidates over a similarly qualified candidate.
• Letters of recommendation for a coordination or supervision position from a theatre company.
• Construction Drawing/drafting experience and/or portfolios of same
• Samples of spreadsheets using formulas
• Arts Administration experience
• Familiarity with IATSE and CAEA terms and conditions.
• Availability for multiple productions.
• Additional training in leadership or administration.
Salary: Flat fee per production. Amount varies by the number and type of productions contracted.
How to Apply:
Email a single PDF file containing your entire application to firstname.lastname@example.org
CV’s, cover letters or resumes should be inside the file, but the file may contain web links to any portfolios.
We appreciate every expression of interest but can only commit to contacting candidates as they are selected for interview. Please advise us if you need accessibility accommodated (including alternate formats of materials or accessible meeting space) to participate in this process: or 604-270-6500.
Gateway Theatre enriches the quality of life in Richmond and surrounding communities by creating outstanding professional theatre and serving as a dynamic hub for the performing arts. Incorporated in 1982, Gateway has grown into one of the largest professional theatre companies in the Lower Mainland and is lead today by Artistic Director Jovanni Sy. We serve the community through professional live theatre productions, theatre education for youth, and community venue rentals. The venue houses a 540-seat proscenium theatre (MS), a 100-seat black box theatre (ST), a rehearsal studio, and administration space.