This is a Temporary, Part-time position.Category: Technical
The Cultch Assistant Technical Director (ATD) is an experienced theatre technician that will assist with organizing and supervising all elements pertaining to the design, build and install of Guest Company’s lighting, audio, video and set element, and crew supervision. Reporting to the Technical Director and the Production Manager, The ATD will primarily be responsible for the advance, supervise installation, and operation of rental shows.
Duties and responsibilities shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Work closely with the Rentals Sales Manager
• Liaise in advance with rental clients, rentals manager and PM to determine feasibility, tech requirements and crewing needs for each rental production
• Liaise with TD about any challenging tech requirements. Identify safety concerns and technical challenges
• Create draft production schedule to review with PM, and assign crew accordingly
• Supervise installations to ensure that designs are implemented as the designer(s) intended, within approved budgets and inventory
• Hold 'toolbox' safety talk at the start of each day
• Provide support regarding technical questions and trouble shoot technical issues of the productions as necessary before and during the run of the productions as requested
• Crew chief duties, including maintaining of break schedules, timesheets, and ensuring crew chiefs fill out show and load-in reports
• Operation of rental and occasional presentation shows as required
• Create comprehensive strike lists and supervise the load out and venue restore at the completion of a productions, including intercompany gear returns
• Ensure visiting companies remove all materials and waste brought into the Cultch venues
• Attend rentals meeting and staff meetings as required
• Occasionally participate in production and cross-departmental meetings with the visiting Company’s employees and relevant outside contractors
• Perform regular maintenance in venues, backstage areas and theatre equipment in a safe, clean and organized standard in accordance with Vancouver East Cultural Centre policy, and WCB regulations
Supervision shall include helping manage that all work is done in a manner that ensures the safety of the staff, performers and patrons of The Cultch. All of the above duties and responsibilities are to be conducted in a cost effective manner, ensuring that production stay on schedule and alerting the Executive Director of any cost overruns in a timely manner.
• A post-secondary diploma in production and/or a minimum 5 years of professional experience in technical theatre.
• The ability to work to schedule and meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
• High proficiency in operating of ETC Ion console and 2-4 years programming lighting for theatre as well as live music events.
• Thorough understanding and working knowledge of DMX control, including but not limited to LEDs, scrollers, I-Cues, Gobo Rotators, moving fixtures and other effects and accessories
• Experience with IT networks for entertainment, routers, IP addressing, etc.
• Experience reading lighting plots and associated paperwork.
• Experience in supervision of technical personnel.
• Physically fit and able to make multiple trips up and down stairs, ladders and comfortable working at heights.
• Working knowledge of Q-Lab, basic Audio and Audio-Video and Projection Systems.
• Working knowledge of theatre stage carpentry and rigging.
• Experience in the safe operation and maintenance of single and double purchase fly systems.
• Computer skills including experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Knowledge of Vectorworks is an asset.
• Ability to handle unexpected situations and work in a team environment including willingness to welcome and guide clients and crew through what our theatre has to offer, whether they are designers, directors, artists or event organizers
This is a Union position governed by the terms and conditions of the Technical Collective Agreement between Vancouver East Cultural Centre and IATSE Local 118. Overtime is calculated according to the IATSE Collective agreement and is entered into employee’s time bank. Days off are flexible and based on the performance schedule.
Salary: $24.30 per hour plus benefits less Union dues
Please email your cover letter and CV to with “Rentals ATD” in the subject line
For more than four decades, The Cultch has presented unforgettable theatre, dance and music, bringing world-class local, national and international presentations to thousands of patrons each year. We have a vibrant rental clientele and a unique Youth Program further extending our reach into the community. Located just off Commercial Drive, The Cultch is a great place to work. Our team members include people like you – enthusiastic, innovative, passionate, detail-oriented and energetic.
The Cultch operates three theatres: the Historic Stage and the Vancity Culture Lab at The Cultch on Venables Street, and the York Theatre on Commercial Drive. Join our team and share our vision of a future filled with the best that contemporary art has to offer.