This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
The Production Assistant provides required support to the Director of Production and Technical Director in the provision of technical production support of Calgary Opera’s production, education, outreach, and special event activities. The Production Assistant also provides administrative and facility related support.
• Technical Theatre Diploma from a recognized Technical College or University, or experience working in a technical capacity in the theatre community.
• Physical ability to bend, stretch, reach, lift 30 kilograms without strain
• Ability to work at heights (on ladders and scaffold)
• Ability to work within established deadlines and prioritize tasks
• Ability to work unsupervised
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, which includes evenings and weekends
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence and clean driver’s abstract is desirable.
• First Aid, FAC, Fall Arrest Certifications desirable but not required.
• Knowledge of basic lighting, video (projection) and audio
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Knowledge of CAD or Vectorworks desirable but not required
• Attend staff and production meetings
• Take minutes at production meetings
• Perform regular facility interior and exterior checks on the Mamdani Opera Centre Facility.
Between janitorial company services – check all washrooms and ensure all supplies are in place and garbage is emptied if required.
Check for burnt out light bulbs and replace (interior and exterior)
Be responsible for the cleaning and maintenance of the rehearsal hall, storage areas and basement. This includes emptying garbage, sweeping mopping as required.
Perform minor carpentry duties
Cleaning as required
Check general wear and tear and ascertain appropriate action required
Manage inventory of all janitorial supplies
Ensure exterior of building is cleaned up of any garbage etc.
Cardboard, paper recycling
• Provide technical support to renters in the area of lighting, projection, and audio as required. Assist in set up and tear down of renters’ activities.
• Act as liaison with all renters to ensure requirements are met for each rental.
• Set up and take down rehearsals for chorus
• Administrative duties such as:
Research for DOP and TD’s
Drafting of invoices and rental agreements
Inputting calendar information
• Hang, patch and focus theatrical lights in the Mamdani
• Set up and run audio for special events and rentals in the Mamdani
• Audio mixing of events at Mamdani
• Set up and operate projectors as required
• Assist in maintenance of the warehouse and contents as required
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; and nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Extended Health and Dental Benefits available after 3 months.
Salary: $18.00 per hour (32 hours per week)
Director of Production
Founded in 1972, Calgary Opera’s Mission is: To be the best at connecting people, through the magic of opera, to themselves, to each other, and to the community.
For 44 years, Calgary Opera has made a name for itself as a company that is committed to the development of Canadian talent and the development of new opera works, as well as bringing opera to all ages in the community on a broader scale.
Over the past decade, creating new works and building new productions has been a cornerstone of the company. By the opening of Calgary Opera’s 2016-17 season, the company will have presented six world premieres, six Canadian premieres, and numerous company premieres. Calgary Opera’s most recent Canadian premiere, Die tote Stadt (The Dead City), by Erich Wolfgang Korngold, opened to rave reviews. In addition, Calgary Opera re-mounted the original work Filumena in February, which premiered originally in 2003 in partnership with The Banff Centre for the Arts and Creativity, and composed by John Estacio with libretto by John Murrell.
Calgary Opera is the only opera company in Canada with an outdoor summer opera festival (Opera in the Village), which brings opera to over 9,000 locals and tourists at ENMAX Park on the site of Calgary Stampede’s Indian Village.
The company’s Emerging Artist Program is the only one of four designated annual National Training Programs funded through Canadian Heritage in all of Canada, which provides 8 young artists the opportunity to learn through an intense program of vocal coaching, acting, performances, touring and one-on-one training with experts in the opera world.
Furthering community outreach, Calgary Opera brings opera to younger audiences through school tours in Calgary and northern/southern Alberta, and the Let’s Create an Opera program allows schools to conceptualize, create, construct, and produce their own opera to Calgary audiences. As well, the company’s For Students Only Dress Rehearsals provides thousands of students with hugely discounted tickets not otherwise available.
On the mainstage, Calgary Opera produces a subscription season of three full-scale operas at the 2,400-seat Jubilee Auditorium, complimented by a series of opera-related events and fundraisers.
The Mamdani Opera Centre is Calgary Opera’s administrative and rehearsal home, situated in the Canadian Heritage Site of Wesley United Church, where we also invite other local arts groups to use as performance space.