This is a Permanent, Part-time position.Category: Technical
The Head McManus Technician is responsible for theatre operations in the McManus Studio Theatre, a 144-seat flexible black box.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Operating sound, lighting, and/or video equipment for rehearsals, notes sessions, and performances
- Supervising and participating in setups, strikes, hang and focus sessions, levels sessions, and rehearsals
- Working with Designers to realize their designs
- Basic equipment maintenance, troubleshooting malfunctions, and working with TD team to arrange for more complex repairs
- Maintain orderly storage of tools and equipment, and coordinating with TD team and building manager for disposal of surplus equipment
- Assisting with scheduling and booking crews for the McManus
- Working with rental clients, rentals manager, and TD team to create labour estimates for McManus rentals
- Working with rentals manager and TD team to accommodate the needs of rental clients
- Advising on capital projects including new equipment needs
- Light cleaning of theatre space
- Basic lighting design for house plots and rental clients
- Attending production meetings for Grand Theatre shows and rentals
Additional Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting with logistics planning for McManus shows
- Driving company and rental vehicles on occasion
- Ordering materials and supplies for McManus operations
You are a friendly, outgoing person who enjoys working in a collaborative environment. You are a creative problem solver who can think in three dimensions on tight timelines. You have great time management skills and are very organized. You are an efficient, safe technician, who can also lead and train others. You love theatre. You hold yourself to the highest professional standards when working on our productions and presentations, and are happy to provide our rental companies that same level of service and respect. You strongly support the values of the Grand, and ensure our activities in the McManus reflect those values.
- Post-secondary education in Entertainment Technical Production or equivalent work experience
- Strong programming skills on ETC EOS family lighting console
- Strong programming skills in QLAB
- Strong digital sound console skills (Allen & Heath GLD, D-Live, or iLive experience a bonus)
- Basic computer networking skills
- Solid understanding of health and safety practices in a live performance environment
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Excellent collaborator
- Ability to read and interpret drawings and schematics
- Ability to safely lift and manipulate heavy loads alone and with others
- Comfortable working at heights up to 25 feet, and working with extension and a-frame ladders up to 20’ tall
- Ability to work safely and effectively in very low light and conditions
- Ability to work up to 16 hours per day and 60 hours per week
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Working at Heights certification
- Elevated work platform certification
- Good working knowledge of electricity, particularly as it applies to power distribution, dimming, and electronics
- Good working knowledge of theatrical sound, excellent troubleshooting skills
- Ability to mix larger shows
- Intermediate knowledge of wireless mics and communication systems
- Working knowledge of building and fire codes as they apply to theatre
- Basic Electronics troubleshooting ability
- Good understanding of lighting control networks and distribution
- A musical ear, and familiarity with small scale concert production
- CAD drafting experience
The Head McManus Technician reports directly to the Production Manager
Diversity and Equal Opportunity
In our desire to reflect the world and our community in all areas of our work, the Grand Theatre is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, without regard to age, disability, ethnicity, race, or gender identity.
Dates of Employment
The Head McManus Technician is a seasonal part-time position with variable hours.
The start date is flexible, ideally starting Monday August 20th 2018.
For the 2018-19 season there are approximately 27 weeks with 30 to 60 hours of work between September 10th 2018 and May 5th 2019, and approximately 4 weeks with 4 to 12 hours.
Pay and benefits
Pay ranges from $17 to $19/hour depending on experience. This position is paid on an hourly basis, and overtime is paid after 40 hours worked in a week. The Head McManus Technician is an employee, so CPP, EI, and Income tax will be deducted from each paycheque.
Salary: $17 to $19/hour
Please send applications with a cover letter and resume by email to:
Interim Production Manager
Review of applications will begin June 25th, and will continue until the position is filled.
We are a large professional regional theatre located in the heart of London, Ontario. We produce a season of 6 to 9 plays from September to May, and employ a full team of props, wardrobe, scenic art, and carpentry artisans and craftspeople. We are World Curious and London Proud. Our mission is to create transformative experiences on our stages, through our stories, and to connect and inspire our communities.
At the Grand we are: