This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Production
. This is a 37- 39 week contract starting mid to late July 2015.
• The Carpenter reports directly to the Technical Director and Production Manager.
• Is responsible for the construction, installation and strike of all scenic elements.
• Maintains the highest standards of production quality and safety.
• Assists the Technical Director in costing, budgeting and scheduling.
• Assists in creation of construction plans including material lists and cut lists.
• Maintains and balances shop budgets with the Technical Director.
• Orders, and as needed, shops for materials.
• Supervises additional labour required for the completion of all scenery, which may include P/T 2nd carp, production intern and/or volunteers.
• Attends production meetings, staff meetings, technical rehearsals, and note sessions as scheduled.
• Organizes a safe scenic shop and maintains its supplies and equipment.
• Assists the Scenic Art and Properties departments as required.
• Be a resource to other arts community members.
• Other light carpentry duties as assigned.
• Minimum of 3 years professional experience as a scenic carpenter.
• Completion of a post-secondary program in technical theatre is an asset.
• Ability to interpret construction drawings.
• Able to work well independently or as part of a team.
• Good organizational and communication skills.
• Experience with Vectorworks and associated software an asset.
• Certifications in First Aid, WHMIS and Fall Protection are an asset.
• An awareness of the environmental impact of shop processes.
• Able to work at heights and lift heavy scenery.
• On occasion, train and/or lead a production intern and/or volunteers.
• Have a valid driver’s license, a clean driving record and be comfortable driving a large van a long distance.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
To apply please send a cover letter, a current CV, and a list of three references to:
Western Canada Theatre
P.O. Box 329
Kamloops, BC., V2C 5K9
Western Canada Theatre is a professional theatre based in Kamloops BC (3 ½ hours from Vancouver) playing in the 700 seat city-owned Sagebrush Theatre and WCT’s black box Pavilion Theatre. The successful candidate will be part of and work within a dynamic team producing professional live theatre. The coming season will consist of 5 mainstage shows (including 3 imports) 2 second stage shows (with one import) and a young company show. Two of the mainstage builds will tour. The centerpiece this season will be Mary Poppins. Please review the profile of the company before applying:www.wctlive.ca/about.htm