This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Management
• To work under the direction of the AD to plan and supervise the execution of production requirements to facilitate the realization of the Artistic Director’s program
• Initiate and coordinate the flow of information within the production department and with other departments as required.
• Prepare operating and capital budgets for the production department.
• Authorize production purchasing; maintain budget control on designated accounts; maintain production inventory records, and authorize the purchase, rental and/or disposal of production material and equipment.
• Assess, define and organize Production Department personnel requirements in consultation with the AD; maintain correspondence files and interview applicants for available positions or delegate such interviews to department heads.
• Engage designers as directed by the Artistic Director; negotiating fees and issuing contracts.
• Engage stage management personnel.
• Act as a member of the negotiating committee for collective bargaining with IATSE; deal with issues arising from the IATSE contract.
• Authorize and maintain payroll information for all production department personnel.
• Advise and assist in the organization of special production activities and in long –range planning and development.
• Oversee Health & Safety policy development and implementation in conjunction with the MTC Health & Safety Committee
• Shall have strong interpersonal skills and have demonstrated leadership skills.
• Shall have demonstrated superior written and oral communication skills.
• 5 years experience of professional theatre in a supervisory capacity with at least 3 years as a Production Manager.
• Proven proficiency with budgeting in all production disciplines and financial tracking.
• Extensive knowledge of staging and production techniques, and theatre equipment including lighting, sound and video.
• Must have experience working with the Canadian Theatre Agreement.
• Must have experience working in a Union environment.
Please send resume and covering letter by email to email@example.com or by post to:
Assistant General Manager
Manitoba Theatre Centre
174 Market Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 0P8
We thank all who apply, however only candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
The Manitoba Theatre Centre (MTC) is Canada’s first English-language regional theatre, and has the highest attendance of any regional (299,157 last season, including almost 20,000 subscribers). MTC produces six Mainstage productions at the John Hirsch Theatre (785 seats), four Warehouse productions at the Tom Hendry Theatre (286 seats), a regional tour to 21 communities, a mid-winter Master Playwright Festival, and the Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival, North America’s second-largest fringe. The theatre has an annual budget of $9 million and an endowment fund of $10.8 million. MTC exists to celebrate the widest spectrum of theatre art. Deeply rooted in the province of Manitoba, MTC aspires to reflect and inform the community it serves.
MTC seeks a dynamic Director of Production to join its talented senior management team. Reporting to the Artistic Director and General Manager, the Director of Production has direct supervisory responsibility for designers, heads of production departments, stage management and technical directors. The ideal candidate will manage the production department in the building, running and maintaining all non-festival productions. The Production Manager will coordinate the flow of information among artistic, administrative and production staff. Responsible for budgeting, scheduling and hiring of key production personnel, the Production Manager will work closely with the Artistic Director and the General Manager to balance artistic quality with financial and legal responsibility.
Application deadline: April 15, 2010.