This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Other
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity is seeking a Wardrobe Shops Facilitator, for a one-year term ending March 31, 2020.
Through the application of professional expertise in wardrobe, the Facilitator supports the aims and objectives of Performing Arts by taking responsibility for providing support for artists in all events, programs and conferences administrated by Performing Arts. As a member of a team, the Wardrobe Shops Facilitator will perform related maintenance, instructional, mentoring and administrative tasks in the wardrobe, wigs and makeup, and boots and shoes facilities. They will also participate in planning for facilities, operations and the practicum program.
Reporting to the Production Manager, Performing Arts, the Wardrobe Shops Facilitator may also receive day-to-day direction and supervision from the Technical Manager, Performing Arts. The Wardrobe Facilitator must be able to direct the work activities of 1 to 2 department staff doing relatively similar jobs or tasks.
The Wardrobe Facilitator will be required to oversee the work and study related activities of Practicum Participants and may be required to provide supervision to casual labour staff.
• Be responsible for the day to day maintenance, safety and supervision of wardrobe assets and related equipment, materials and supplies
• Act as a liaison between the resident artists and other staff and artists at the Centre, especially as it pertains to use of other facilities, equipment and services that are required for artist and participant work, and guide the artists and participants through the appropriate channels for their various requests.
• Where appropriate, work with visiting companies, artists, other Performing Arts staff, and Banff Centre to: design, estimate, fabricate, and/or build projects to support productions, presentations, and interdisciplinary projects in support of the goals and visions of Banff Centre
• As assigned, monitor and reconcile project and shop budgets, and on a regular basis identify potential budget variances or problems to Production and Technical Manager and other project leaders. As required work directly with the Production and Technical Manager in preparing financial reports and the development of project budgets.
• Work with the Production and Technical Manager to schedule facilities maintenance in accordance with program objectives, and department operational needs;
• Actively participate in the practicum program planning
• Support independent and collaborative research and/or production activities of artists in residencies including the production of new works; the delivery of training; and production of revenue generating projects
• Stay current in the wardrobe field, and current to the needs required to support contemporary artists. Identify to the Production Manager areas for professional development in this area.
• Minimum 5 years in a wardrobe technician role with experience in dance, opera, or theatre
• A diploma in theatre production or related field.
• Strong administrative and computer skills
• Experience ordering and receiving in financial systems
• Experience creating/implementing inventory management systems
• Knowledge of WHMIS, and Health and Safety codes in Alberta
• Experience maintaining industrial equipment that would be found in professional wardrobe, boots and shoes, and wigs and makeup shops
• Experience mentoring/teaching required
In accordance with CUPE 4318, this is a unionized, hourly support staff position, subject to a 500 hour probation period.
From time-to-time, the Facilitator may be required to work irregular hours and weekends.
Salary: $22.04 and $24.50 per hour, depending on experience, working up to 40 hours per week.
To explore this opportunity further and to apply online, please visit: bit.ly/2TO5CNy
For more information, please contact Elizabeth at
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity is more than just a great place to work - we are one of Canada's most unique employer. As the largest postgraduate arts and leadership school in the country, our campus is alive with artists, leaders and thinkers from around the world. From Sales to Customer Service, Marketing to Finance or Front-of house to behind-the-scenes, be part of something truly world-class while fulfilling your career goals.