This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
The Theatre Technician will provide technical support and provide guidance to the clients of the Yukon Arts Centre; including professional artists, community performers and commercial clients. The successful candidate will have knowledge and experience in all areas of technical theatre. The Yukon Arts Centre is a “road house”, the technician should be able provide basic lighting design and operation, live sound mix and general stage technical services. The person will work along side the technical director and the senior house technician. Lighting skills are of particular interest.
1. Assist in all areas of theatre production support including:
Electrics. Hang, focus and lighting board operations.
• Lighting Board is an ETC Insight 3.
• 12 x VL-1000 and 6 x VL-2000 fixtures
Sound. Setting stage lines, mics, monitors and instrumentation.
• Soundboards include: Soundcraft Vi6, Soundcraft V:1, Allen & Heath GL-2400.
Flies. Rigging and operation of manual fly system.
• 30+ Linesets, single purchase.
Carpentry. Basic stage and shop carpentry.
Video. Basic set up and operations of projection systems.
Set Up/ Strike. Assist as required by each show and event.
2. Operate the facility independently as required by the rental/ event.
3. Perform regular and seasonal maintenance and upkeep to all theatrical equipment.
4. Ensure all working areas are well maintained, clean, tidy and organized.
5. Assist in areas of technical management. Meet with clients to review show needs.
6. Assist in the training and development of local volunteers wishing to assist in technical capacities at the facility.
7. Assist with the occupational safety and health of co-workers and audience members.
Required Knowledge and Skills
1. Stagecraft diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution or a minimum of 3 years related equivalent work experience.
2. Experience working in a wide range of related production areas including sound, lighting and rigging.
3. Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimum direct supervision and the capacity to work smoothly with other team members.
4. Experience working in a roadhouse facility with a wide variety of events and short turn around time.
5. Demonstrated ability to work and assist a wide range of art and performance types including live music, theatre, dance, choirs, variety shows and corporate presentations.
6. Experience with assisting and working with community and semi-professional arts groups with attention to patience, understanding and consideration.
7. Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and achieve deadlines.
8. Demonstrated ability to work in a safe and timely manner.
9. Ability to work at heights, climb ladders, lift up to 50 pounds and skill with basic power tools.
10. The candidate must have strong communication skills; good time management skills, flexibility and be able to approach each situation with diplomacy.
11. Literate with computer systems and software. (Window XP, Mac OS, Vectorworks (Windows))
12. A good sense of humour is a useful asset.
The Yukon Arts Centre is a modern and well-equipped venue that opened in May 1997. We host over 130 events and performances, which represents 70% of the available days each year. Over 25,000 audience members attend a wide range of professional and semi-professional performances including: a jazz concert season, a classical music season, modern and ballet dance performances, professional and modern theatre presentations, corporate and community functions, films and screenings and many live music performances.
More information about YAC can be found at: www.yukonartscentre.com
Please provide a cover letter with a detailed resume with related experiences. We encourage all members of the community to apply. The Yukon Arts Centre is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all those that take the time to apply. We will contact those that best meet the listed qualifications.
This is a full time Public Service Alliance of Canada position with a wage range of $20 - $21 per hour. Hire Date: As soon possible. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The Yukon is a wonderful part of Canada and Whitehorse has a great and diverse arts community. The Territorial government understands the importance of the arts and culture and provides significant funding to support the community’s development.
We have a short but intense summer with 20 hours of daylight for bicycling, water sports, fishing, hiking, climbing and lots of music festivals. The winter provides great cross-country skiing, ice hockey, curling, dog sledding and much more.
Salary: PSAC $20 - $21/hour - 40 hour week
Location: Whitehorse City, Yukon Territory. 60°43 00 N 135°03 00 W
Employment Commences: As soon as possible
Contact: Al Cushing, CEO
Phone 867 667-8577 FAX: 867 393-6300
Mail: PO Box 16, Whitehorse, YT. Y1A-5X9
The Yukon Arts Centre is a not for profit charitable organization that is dedicated to the development of the arts as an important cultural, social and economic force in the Yukon. We intend to be model for the development of the arts in the north and a stimulus for a vibrant and creative Territory. We are seeking a like-minded team player that can help us achieve our goals: an enthusiastic, innovative and skilled individual who will fill the position of Full Time Theatre Technician.