This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Management
Reporting to the Director of Production the Technical Director - Production Workshops will be responsible for supervision and direction of all departments of the Production Shop and all aspects of pre-production as related to set, props, paint & costume, design & build/implementation. He/she will work together with the Venue Technical Directors for the Granville Island Stages, Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage & Tours in developing solutions for the in-house produced show designs.
Responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to the following;
• Liaise with Stage Managers, Venue Technical Directors, Designers and Shop Department Heads.
• Develop technical concepts, equipment needs, staff requirements and schedules for the builds of the individual shows
• Evaluate practicality of concepts, solve technical and artistic problems, prepare estimates and monitor spending within the assigned budgets
• Supervise the implementations of approved technical designs for set, scenic art, props, and costumes
• Source and procure tools, equipment and materials focusing on financial and operational efficiency
• Establish production schedules and attend production meetings
• Hire and supervise production staff in all relevant areas; provide direction, training, support and evaluation
• Ensure proper use and maintenance of facilities, tools and equipment
• Make recommendations regarding capital purchases
• Assist with occupational safety and health
• Assist with the supervision of shop rentals
• Assist the Buildings Manager when required
The successful applicant will have thorough experience and knowledge in all aspects of set construction & decoration and be familiar with costume production techniques and staging principles. He/she will have a degree in technical theatre (or equivalent experience) including set construction / structural integrity and thorough knowledge in the use of relevant computer programs (usual MS Office applications), including CAD.
The Technical Director will be self motivated, reliable and responsible and possess good organizational and time management skills. He/she will have excellent communication skills and the ability to maintain a positive attitude in stressful situations.
A minimum of three years experience as a Technical Director or several years experience in a managerial position in set construction workshops and related stage experience is required.
Preference will be given to persons holding additional certificates for one, or all of the following;
Salary: not specified
Deadline for Applications; July 20th 2010; Only those applicants being considered will be contacted.
Applicants are invited to submit their resumes to;
1585 Johnston Street
Starting on or about August 9th, 2010 seasonal full-time position until May 20th, 2011 with recall for the following season(s)
The Arts Club Theatre Company is in its 46th season and operates 3 theatres, producing a season of 15 plays and musicals, plus a series of three local run out/tour productions.
The Arts Club Theatre Company is currently accepting applications for the position of Technical Director - Production Shop. The fully equipped Production Facility is located on Granville Island and has carpentry, paint, props and costume departments with regular and casual employees operating under an I.A.T.S.E. Collective Agreement.