This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Reporting to the Production Manager, the Technical Director is responsible for managing all technical elements in the venues operated by The Cultch. The Technical Director provides leadership to the technical crew and ensures the safe, effective use of all theatrical equipment.
The duties and responsibilities of the Technical Director include but are not limited to:
- Liaise with each Cultch Presentation’s technical contact to advance technical requirements for each show in The Cultch’s presenting season
- Along with the Production Manager, communicate with rental clients to determine technical needs and appropriate schedules
- Work with Production Manager to ensure schedules and staffing levels are appropriate for all shows
- Supervise IATSE technical crews
- Occasional operating of shows
- Maintain inventory, co-ordinate maintenance and repair of all equipment
- Arrange rental of supplementary equipment
- Ensure that all work is done in a manner that complies with WorkSafe BC and ensures the safety of the staff, performers and patrons of The Cultch
- Conduct all duties in a cost-effective manner, work to ensure that productions stay on schedule and alert the Production Manager of any cost overruns in a timely manner
- Maintain and upgrade knowledge and skills to current industry standards
- Other duties as required
- Exceptional customer service and people skills are essential for working with a diverse group of artists, renters, producers, directors, other staff and IATSE crew
- Passion for the performing arts
- Post-secondary diploma in production and/or a minimum 5 years professional experience in technical theatre
- Experience supervision of technical personnel
- Experience in estimating crewing needs to keep productions on budget and schedule
- Skill and knowledge in all technical areas, including but not limited to: lighting, digital audio, video, counterweight fly systems, rigging and set carpentry
- Experience reading lighting plots and scenic drawings
- Strong computer skills including Mac, PC, Microsoft Word and Excel, Vectorworks and Networking
- Able to do multiple trips up and down stairs and climb ladders
- Highly organized, able to multi-task and prioritize
- Able to work to schedule, meet deadlines and work well under pressure
- Able to handle unexpected situations and work in a team environment
- Excellent communication skills and team leadership
- Valid BC driver’s license
- Experience with Facility Management
- Level 1 Occupational First Aid certificate
- Firearms certification
- Rigging certification
Working conditions and wage will be in accordance with the Collective Agreement between IATSE Local 118 and the Vancouver East Cultural Centre.
This is a full-time (40 hours/week) position governed by the terms and conditions of the Collective Agreement between Vancouver East Cultural Centre and IATSE Local 118. Most work will take place during office hours, but the Technical Director will be required to work some evenings or weekends.
Salary: $27.85 per hour, plus a 6% contribution to IATSE for the health plan and a 4% contribution to the rrsp (the rrsp is matched by the employee) less Union dues. We expect an updated rate as per the Collective Agreement in the near future.
If this sounds like you, please send your C.V. and cover letter to:
with “Technical Director (full-time)” in the subject line
For forty-five years, The Cultch has presented unforgettable theatre, dance and music, bringing excellent local, national and international presentations to thousands of patrons each year. We have a vibrant rental clientele and a unique Youth Program further extending our reach into the community. Located just off Commercial Drive, The Cultch is also a great place to work. Our team members include people like you: enthusiastic, innovative, passionate, detail-oriented and energetic who have a love and knowledge of the contemporary performing arts in all forms and delight in sharing this passion.
The Cultch operates three theatres: the Historic Stage and Vancity Culture Lab at The Cultch on Venables Street, and the York Theatre on Commercial Drive. In 2017-18, we worked with 125 clients, putting on more than 500 performances, hosting approximately 50,000 patrons at The Cultch and York theatres and offsite venues. We believe you will find our high-performance culture personally fulfilling, professionally challenging and artistically rewarding. Join our team and share our vision of a future filled with the best that contemporary art has to offer.