This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
The Blyth Festival, home of Live. Original. Canadian. Theatre., is currently searching for a candidate to fill the position of year-round Technical Director.
This individual will join the year-round Blyth Festival team to manage and run the technical requirements for rentals of Blyth Memorial Community Hall, and be a core part of the production team for the Blyth Festival’s theatre productions. This is a full-time year-round position.
The responsibilities for this job may vary depending on the skills of the incumbent.
RESPONSIBILITIES may include:
• Management of technical and production aspects of all productions and Hall rentals
• Running of audio and lighting consoles during theatre rentals
• Conceptualizing the execution of design submissions
• Liaising with designers/directors
• Costing of productions
• Assisting in the hiring of the seasonal production team
• Working with crew and production teams to meet the needs of shows
• Working within production budgets
• Coordinating, supervising and participating in, repertory changeovers
• Enforcing Health & Safety policies and regulations
• Working with the AD & GM to prepare big-picture production schedule
• Standard maintenance of theatrical equipment
Each year the Blyth Festival produces a repertory summer season of Canadian plays (including multiple world premieres), an annual Young Company project in our studio space, and is continuing to grow towards year-round programming, this year launching an inaugural holiday production.
The Blyth Festival takes place in Blyth Memorial Hall, a municipally owned, newly renovated 379-seat theatre. There are two rehearsal halls, one of which functions as a studio theatre, and ample backstage space for repertory changeovers. The production building includes carpentry, paint, props and wardrobe workspaces.
• Thorough background in all aspects of technical theatre production, particularly lighting, audio and video
• Proven management experience and good communication skills
• Excellent problem solving skills
• Strong team player
• Working knowledge of Health & Safety policies
• Valid G Driver’s Licence
• Working at Heights
• Working knowledge of QLAB, as well as ETC Element & Digico S21 consoles, Dante networking
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.
The Blyth Centre for the Arts (including Blyth Festival) was founded in 1975 to produce theatre that reflects the culture and concerns for the people of southwestern Ontario and beyond. In 1975, few scripts that fit the Festival's mandate were being written so we jumped into the creation of new work. At that time, the festival was the only summer theatre producing original Canadian plays, and one of the very few, if not the only "500-seat" theatre in Canada producing Canadian plays exclusively.
Salary: $45,000-$50,000/yr +vacation/benefits
Please email cover letter and resume to General Manager, Rachael King at
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Blyth Festival (also known as Blyth Centre for the Arts) was founded in 1975 and functions as an arts centre for Huron County in Southwestern Ontario. The theatre presents a four to six play summer season of exclusively Canadian theatre, with an emphasis on new work.
Located in a village of 1000 in rural Huron County, the Blyth Centre for the Arts is a year-round centre of cultural activity for southwestern Ontario.