This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
The Production Manager at Dinosaurs Unearthed (DU), under the direction of the Production Director, plans, manages and implements a range of production requirements of staging travelling dinosaur exhibitions throughout North America. This includes pre-production planning, transport, installations, de-installations and service management. The Production Manager is responsible for managing multiple events, multiple exhibition packages and multiple crews. Managing crews on site, as well as working closely internally with exhibit designers, project managers and the sales and marketing team, the Production Manager has exceptional communication skills – oral and written, is a natural team builder and is relentless at documentation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Streamline production and maximize efficiencies in all technical areas of exhibition production including but not limited to mechanical assembly, rigging, electronics, fabrication, and lighting.
Maintain current knowledge of the exhibition field, relying on current literature pertaining to materials use, technological advances, and compliance with safety requirements of WCB, OSHA and other similar organizations.
Develop budgets for supplies, materials, and crew development, ensuring that materials, labour and equipment are used efficiently to meet production and installation targets.
Develop production schedules and exhibit requirements for each exhibition staging to ensure inventory requirements, staffing requirements, work procedures, and duty assignments are reasonable with budgets and time available.
Develop and implement production plans that address all requirements for installations and de-installations including pre installation site surveys, equipment, staffing, daily schedules, power requirements, lighting requirements, service guidelines, and shipping/transport logistics.
Manage the logistics for all shipping, customs and transport including container packing and storage.
Direct and develop production teams at each venue with the ability to:
• Operate personnel lifts, dollies, risers, platforms, decking, drapery, chain motors, pulleys, ropes, cables, rigging and other such devices.
• Interpret drafted floor plans, plots, and elevations.
• Climb and to work at heights.
• Coordinate, train, motivate, and provide direction to technical staff and crew.
• Coordinate the work of others in a fast paced environment within strict timelines.
• Appreciate and support the delivery of educational opportunities.
• Work flexible schedule including early mornings, evenings, and weekends, and to work extended hours, as required.
• Lift and carry equipment up to 25 kg.
• Maintain proper certifications at each site including first aid and equipment operations.
• Manage the maintenance function to most efficiently and effectively respond to client service needs and to continually improve on service records.
• Minimum 5 years production experience.
• Proven management skills displaying planning skills, business acumen and technical expertise.
• Proven experience as part of project management teams with reporting and group documents.
• Experience with mechanical systems, electrical systems and construction/fabrication.
• Experience with touring exhibits and/or theatrical set installation an asset.
• Post secondary education in relevant field.
• Proven management and team building expertise on site.
• Proven experience working with a project team at head office.
• Exceptional communication skills to be able to continually interact with project team members, suppliers, and clients.
• Problem solving and solution oriented nature.
• Ability to travel throughout Canada and the U.S. for up to 3 weeks or more at a time.
• Ability to speak Mandarin an asset.
• Excellent client relations skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Resourceful and solution oriented.
• Comfortable and able to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
If you possess the skills as mentioned, and describe yourself as a team player, enthusiastic, and possess the commitment to make a positive contribution to this vibrant and exciting company, we invite you to email your resume and a cover letter to or fax to 604-277-1617.
Closing Date: June 30, 2011
We thank all candidates for their interest however please be advised only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
Salary: commensurate with experience and skills
Please email resume and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 604 277-1617
ABOUT DINOSAURS UNEARTHED
Dinosaurs Unearthed creates multi-sensory, dynamic and interactive dinosaur exhibitions that entertain and educate audiences. By creating a complete and compelling guest experience through the use of stunning life-size, life-like animatronic dinosaurs, skeletons, fossils, engaging content and interactive activities, Dinosaurs Unearthed exhibitions deliver a memorable learning and guest experience to a wide range of venues. Offering excitement, scientific accuracy and entertainment-driven design, Dinosaurs Unearthed offers a comprehensive and innovative approach to travelling exhibitions.