This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
The Production Co-ordinator’s primary role is to act as a supervisor of technical theatre workers, with a secondary focus on event management from a Production Department perspective.
The PC should be proactive; someone who can observe carefully, actively listen to input, think critically, take decisive action, provide clear direction, delegate effectively and follow through consistently. They should also be comfortable assuming leadership; earning the confidence of their co-workers and inspiring their subordinates to be engaged, comported and effective at work. The PC must be able to understand the processes of different collaborators, while ensuring work is done in alignment with company schedules, budgets, values, and standards. This individual’s initiative, inter-personnel skills, critical thinking and ability to earn the trust of others is critical in ensuring the entire team is successful and supported throughout the process on a pro-active basis.
The PC reports to the Production Manager and provides them with logistical support and constructive input. The PC collaborates with all personnel on an event to ensure efficient and effective operations of the Gateway productions, presentations and venue partnerships. The PC also works with rental clients and internal departments to determine their event needs and ensure timely integration of company resources for those events.
The position is full time or flexible. Start date is Fall of 2019/ ASAP.
• Supervision and leadership of Production personnel.
• Anticipation of logistical issues and proactive analysis provided to the Production Manager and Associate Manager.
• Regular and prompt communication with collaborators.
• Cost projection of preliminary and completed designs to create work schedules, equipment lists and supply lists.
• Coordinate and facilitate the work of artists such as stage crew, construction crew, designers, directors, choreographers and stage managers.
• Present on stage during setup, technical rehearsal and strike of events. Available between opening and closing performances to troubleshoot issues with event crew.
• Consultation and advice regarding production operations and capital expenditures.
• Coordinate acquisition and transportation of equipment and supplies.
• Advance logistical needs for performances.
• Approving time sheets, projection of costs and tracking expenditures related to events.
Candidates will be short listed on the basis of the following qualifications:
• Experience leading event personnel of all skill and experience levels including;
o Modeling, teaching and performing checks for understanding of preferred behaviours and practices.
o Resolving conflicts and disputes
o Quality control and error correction
• Customer service experience as a primary point of contact for rental clientele.
• Post – secondary education in Arts Admin or Event coordination.
• Experience in event management.
• Competency in creative problem solving technical and artistic challenges.
• Experience working in Excel spreadsheets using formulas
• Experience coordinating a budget
• Legally entitled to work in Canada
Assets are not required to be eligible for the position; however any of the assets below might be considered when prioritizing a short listed candidate over a similarly qualified candidate.
• Driver’s Licence – min CL5 to drive company over height cargo van.
• Additional experience complementary to being an event manager, such as but not limited to; stage management, Film, TV, or admin work at an arts organization.
• Experience as a technician - e.g.; staging, Lighting, sound video
• Experience implementing, integrating and coordinating construction of large theatrical scenic designs.
• Computer Aided Drafting or Sketching experience
• Familiarity with scenic construction cost estimation.
• Familiarity coordinating union workers.
• Professional training in customer service, leadership or administration.
How to Apply:
Email a single PDF file containing your entire application to Josef Chung, Production Manager,
Any CVs, cover letters, resumes and reference materials should be inside the file, but the file may contain web links to any portfolios.
Questions? Email or call 604 270-6500
Note: The Gateway is using a dynamic recruiting process, offering multiple postings for one Production Department position. The final position will be adapted to the candidate selected.
We appreciate every expression of interest but can only commit to contacting candidates that are selected for interview. Please advise us if you need accessibility accommodated (including alternate formats of materials or accessible meeting space) to participate in this process.
Salary: $24-30/hr A full time engagement would include shared-cost extended benefits, including pension.
Josef Chung, Production Manager
Gateway Theatre enriches the quality of life in Richmond and surrounding communities by creating outstanding professional theatre and serving as a dynamic hub for the performing arts. Incorporated in 1982, Gateway has grown into one of the largest professional theatre companies in the Lower Mainland. We serve the community through professional live theatre productions, theatre education for youth, and community venue rentals. The venue houses a 540-seat proscenium theatre, an 85-seat black box theatre, a rehearsal studio, and administration space.