Job Description / Duties
Reporting to the Production Manager and under the guidance of the Head of Wardrobe, the Head of Wigs, Hair and Makeup is responsible for producing all aspects of production related to wigs, hair and makeup for the Festival, as designed by the Costume Designer(s).
- Coordinating and executing all aspects of the Festival productions related to wigs, hair styles and facial hair, including pulls, purchases, alterations, and builds.
- Organizing and maintaining the wig/hair and make-up stock, workspace and supplies, including performing inventory and making purchases as required.
- Facilitating or performing haircuts and specialty hair processes, as required.
- Coordinating the creation and implementation of make-up looks, as required, including teaching make-up techniques to the acting company.
- Managing the delivery of all approved design elements, on time and on budget.
- Coordinating with Stage Management and the Head of Wardrobe to schedule fittings, as required.
- Supervising and training wig running crew for rehearsal and performance.
- Creating a hair maintenance schedule for wig washing, re-sets and haircuts
- Supervising and/or assisting in the regular maintenance of all wigs, hair styles and facial hair.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Required Skills
- Professional experience as a wigs, hair and makeup specialist in a professional theatre or film environment.
- A demonstrated expertise in theatrical wig building techniques, including ventilation.
- An ability to cut and style hair of all types.
- A demonstrated ability in stage and special effects/prosthetic makeup.
- A working knowledge of costume and hair history.
- A strong work ethic and ability to self-direct, with excellent attention to detail and good organizational skills.
- A professional and friendly demeanor and capacity for positive working relationships with colleagues as a member of a large and diverse organization.
- A familiarity with repertory performance and outdoor theatre is an asset.
- A cosmetology and/or hairdressing certification is helpful.
The Head of Wigs, Hair and Makeup is a seasonal position. Full-time, regular hours will start no later than April 1st, 2020. After technical rehearsals, which start on May 23rd, 2020, there will be additional scheduled overtime, including evenings and weekends. Between July 16th, 2020 and September 30th, 2020, the position will become part-time, averaging 20-25 hours per week.
Salary: $29.00 per hour is the starting rate of pay, negotiable dependent on training and experience.
Please upload your resume and a cover letter together in one PDF named “[First & Last Name] Head of Wigs, Hair and Makeup,” summarizing your qualifications and experience, to bardonthebeach.org/current-opportunities/apply-now/.
Bard on the Beach is Western Canada’s largest professional Shakespeare Festival and offers Shakespeare plays, related dramas and special events from June to September, in two modern theatre tents in a magnificent setting on the waterfront in Vanier Park. The Festival also offers year-round educational programming at the BMO Theatre Centre in Olympic Village, and throughout the Lower Mainland.