This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Head of Sound/Sound Engineer - Duties include but not limited to:
The Head of Sound/Sound Engineer will be responsible for maintaining and operating the entire sound system for the 2013 Passion Play season. The specific duties are as follows;
-Early on in the season this individual will be in charge of putting the sound system together. This will involve moving gear around, hooking up speakers, running lines to speakers, hiding speakers, running tests on equipment, cleaning equipment, and maintaining upwards of 24 wireless mics. This will be done under the supervision/help of a few individuals who are familiar with the set up.
- During rehearsals and performances the Sound Engineer is responsible for "mixing," the show. This involves 24 wireless microphones on a multitude of persons over a stage the size of two football fields.
- The individual chosen will need to keep a detailed script with movements written in and a cue system with proper protocol for the movement of sound sources across the stage.
- The sound engineer will be responsible for gathering staging information from the Directors through both meetings and rehearsals.
- The Sound Engineer will have to be in contact with both the Stage Sound and Sound Assistant (one in the booth and one behind stage dealing with mic changes).
- The Sound Engineer is also responsible for making sure system is powered on and off each day.
- The Sound Engineer will have to take notes and take orders from both the Composer and the Directors in relation to sound levels etc.
- This is an evolving position, so new duties may be assigned as they arise. This is a wonderful opportunity for someone in the field of mixing to be involved with a truly one of a kind production.
- All work done will be supervised by the Composer/ Sound Designer who was involved in the building and running of the system.
Sound Assistant - Duties include but not limited to:
- Outside of rehearsals, the Sound Assistant will participate in the installation of the sound system for the production with duties ranging from hooking up digital snakes and boards to setting up speakers, hiding speakers within the design of the set, running lines to speakers and attending to wireless microphones.
- During rehearsals the Sound Assistant will be primarily responsible for running the computer and music for the show.
- This includes keeping a detailed script and executing computer based cues throughout the show. The Sound Assistant Intern will work closely with the Sound Engineer and Composer and receive onsite training in these areas.
- In accordance with the abilities of the individual hired, additional duties may also include mixing voices, creating sound effects, dealing with wireless microphones, sourcing and adjusting sound levels, and being a liaison between the music department and stage management.
- The Sound Assistant will also be in charge of micing up the actors when Stage Sound is unavailable (primarily week days).
- During rehearsals will be responsible for creating a Mic Map that shows when actors have mics relative to the script. As rehearsals continue this Map will need to be edited in order to assure all speaking roes have mics. This task involves keeping a detailed spreadsheet of when actors have mics, which mics they have etc.
The sound team consists of: Composer/ Sound Designer, Musical Director, Head of Sound/ Sound Engineer, Sound Assistant and Stage Sound Technician.
Any interested applicants are encouraged to email a resume and cover letter to Ms. Ailsa Birnie at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 8, 2013.
Company Manager- Canadian Badlands Passion Play
The Canadian Badlands Passion Play is one of Canada's largest outdoor theatrical events. Now in its 18th season, the company annually depicts the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ in dramatic form. An epic story told on an epic scale, this year's production features a creative retelling of the Gospel of John. The script will be performed by a mixed professional/volunteer cast of approximately 200 actors in a 2600-seat outdoor amphitheatre.