This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
Reporting to the Technical Director and working collaboratively with the other department heads, the Head Stage Carpenter is responsible for all workings on stage as well as being the client interface in the backstage area with an emphasis on customer service and safety. This position is expected to supervise casual staff and also be available to assist the Technical Director as required with administration and facility maintenance projects.
• Substantial experience in a leadership role such as a Department Head or Crew Chief in the Stage Department of either a Roadhouse, Touring Company or Producing Theatre
• Substantial experience working with rigging systems - Counterweight, Motor and Truss and basic Hemp Rigging. Competent carpentry skills also an asset.
• Excellent customer service, interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Ability to work independently or collaboratively as part of a team.
• Ability to plan long range maintenance and capital development.
• Experience and proven ability in supervising and nurturing part time staff ie: Alternate Department Heads and Casual Crew.
• Ability to provide expertise and assistance to both community and professional touring clientele.
• Computer literacy. Microsoft Office Environment (Outlook, Access, Excel) and Vectorworks are used heavily.
• An interest in lifelong learning and professional development.
• A willingness to teach and share information and knowledge, and be a team player.
Application deadline: Friday, July 17, 2015 at 5:00pm PST
September start date is desired
Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Please submit cover letter and resume to:
Mike Hessler, Technical Director
The Port Theatre
125 Front Street - Nanaimo, BC - V9R 6Z4
The Port Theatre is a municipally-owned facility operated by The Port Theatre Society, a non-profit society. Its mandate is to stimulate and enhance artistic, cultural and economic activity in the Central Vancouver Island region.