This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
Lorraine Kimsa Theatre for Young People (LKTYP) is currently seeking a Head Scenic Carpenter. Reporting to and supervised by the Production Manager and Technical Director, the Head Scenic Carpenter’s responsibilities will include (but not be limited to):
• Supervising and participating in all scenic builds for LKTYP, as well as any other productions that are built in the LKTYP scenery shop.
• Working closely with the Technical Director in determining construction and rigging techniques while following industry practices for construction techniques and safety. This will include work for LKTYP productions as well as other productions that are built in the LKTYP scenery shop.
• Facilitate LKTYP scenic fit-ups and strikes.
• Attending all production and staff meetings as required.
• Responsibility for the general cleanliness and safe working state of the scenery shop.
• Instructing personnel working in the scenery shop on the proper use of both power tools and appropriate safety equipment.
• Assisting with building operations and facility maintenance as it pertains to health and safety.
• Assisting other LKTYP departments with advice and technical aid as required.
• Participating in LKTYP educational activities and community engagement programs as they relate to the role of Head Scenic Carpenter.
• Graduate of a recognized theatre program.
• Minimum 5 years experience working as a Scenic Carpenter with at least 2 years as a Head Scenic Carpenter with a producing theatre company.
• Good working understanding of scenic construction techniques working with tools, woods, metals, plastics, and air pneumatics.
• Good working understanding of theatrical rigging techniques.
• Experience and knowledge with computerized drafting.
• Certifications in First Aid and Fall Protection are an asset.
• Extensive experience working within the Ontario Health and Safety Act and Live Performance Guidelines.
• A Valid Ontario Class G Driver’s license (or equivalent) is required.
LKTYP is an equal opportunity employer, and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Interested candidates should respond in writing with a résumé and covering letter by:
Friday, December 3rd, 2010 to:
While we thank everyone who applies, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Lorraine Kimsa Theatre for Young People (LKTYP) is Canada’s largest theatre for young audiences and currently produces and presents an 8-play season with an audience of 60,000+. Housed at a renovated, historical venue in Toronto, LKTYP works on a 468-seat Mainstage and a 115-seat Studio. Its operating budget is approximately $3.5 million. LKTYP’s artistic policy focuses on arts and education -- in fact, learning is at the centre of everything we do.