This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Job Title: Head Audio Technician
Department: Chan Centre for the Performing Arts
• Supervise the operation of the Audio department of the Chan Centre for the Performing Arts Backstage Operations.
• During evening/weekend events or performances may be responsible for the management of the facility.
• Responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of all audio, video, and event communications systems within the Chan Centre, work within assigned budget.
• Provide recommendations to the Technical director on an ongoing basis regarding modifications and upgrades to audio, video, and event communications systems within the Chan Centre.
• Maintain professional currency with respect to industry trends and standards in the operation of audio, video, event communications and related equipment.
• Support the Technical Director by actively participating in the design, planning, installation, and operation of all audio, video, and event communications systems and related equipment within the Chan Centre.
• Participate and provides input to the Technical Director regarding hiring decisions.
• Train Chan Staff (casual and full time) on the use of the all audio, video, and event communications systems within the Chan Centre.
• Play a key role in the budgeting process, make recommendations for an annual operating budget for the Audio Department
• Make recommendations for departmental capital purchases.
Reports to the Technical Director
• Assist in training, overseeing, and scheduling staff. Supervision of stage technicians (all types) as required.
• Review all incoming client riders and makes recommendations regarding the audio and video requirements listed within those riders.
• Advance all production aspects of shows as required.
• Ensure that client requirements are met in a timely manner.
• Work within the schedule as provided.
• Resolve, with direction from Technical Director, or the Co-Managing Director of Facilities and Operations, client challenges related to Audio, Stage, and backstage areas.
• Ensure effective implementation of new & previously arranged Production Services and Equipment to clients for their performances and related activities at the Chan Centre.
o These Services should follow within the guidelines provided in the Chan Centre Production Policy and Procedures.
o This includes effective implementation of all new equipment installations related to audio, communications and video.
• Recommend policies and procedures to the Technical Director
• In conjunction with other technical, ticketing, and front of house staff ensure that Tech performances and events run smoothly.
• Oversee and ensure that negotiated client production requirements are met for each performance event.
• Represent Chan Centre in a professional manner to the general public, clients, and Artist’s Representatives. Internal to UBC this includes, as required, the staff and students of the University and, specifically, of the Theatre, Film, and Creative Writing Departments, Ceremonies Office, and the UBC School of Music.
• Ensure the security of the building and safety of the performers, staff, and patrons. Operates within Worksafe BC, Chan Centre, and UBC safety guidelines at all times. Positively promote these safe work practices to other staff members and clients at all times.
• Report deficiencies of building amenities to Technical Director or Trouble calls to the Chan Centre Production Clerk.
• Compile performance and event reports on the night of an event and submits to appropriate staff.
• Act as the primary Audio technician for most events.
• Perform preventative and reactive maintenance as required on all Chan Centre Audio, Communications and video equipment in order to keep the Chan Centre operating at a high level of efficiency.
• Maintain an inventory of all necessary spare parts and supplies.
• Perform other related duties as required.
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR/IMPACT OF DECISIONS, LACK of JUDGMENT
Errors or lack of professional judgment could have a serious impact on relations with clients and patrons. The Head Audio Technician must represent the Chan Centre in a highly professional manner at all times. Poor customer service, or lack of professional judgment, could negatively impact these relations as well as Patron Safety and the Chan Centre’s financial viability. It is expected that clients be treated in a courteous and cheerful manner at all times.
Works under the direction of the Technical Director.
Responsible for motivating, leading, casual stage and production staff.
Varied shift work and days off are required.
• Diploma in a related field of arts production or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum of five years experience in various production related facets of the Performing Arts, demonstrating progressive responsibilities.
• A minimum of two year’s full time experience as Head Audio Technician in a high end/high profile “Road House” environment preferred.
• Proven experience in the maintenance of Audio, communications, and Video Systems.
o Must be able to demonstrate superior audio and video system trouble shooting skills.
• Must be able to work at heights
• Proven effective judgment, communication, organizational, interpersonal, customer service and technical skills.
• Must demonstrate excellent record keeping skills
• Specific skills in Stage/Music Audio, Communications And Video are required.
• Working Knowledge and Concepts in Stage Rigging and Stage Machinery are required.
• Working Knowledge and Concepts in Fall Arrest, Fall Prevention, and Worksafe BC requirements are required.
Job ID: 15821
Location: Vancouver - Point Grey Campus
Employment Group: CUPE 2950 (Chan Centre)
Job Category: Chan Centre - CUPE 2950
Classification Title: Head Technician
Business Title: Head Technician
Department: Chan Centre for Performg Arts
Salary: $48,600.00 (Annual)
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Desired Start Date:
Contact UBC Human Resources directly at