This is a Permanent, Part-time position.Category: Technical
Reporting to the Cultural Concierge, the Associate Technician will be one of a team of technicians responsible for the maintenance and provision of technical services for all events, rentals, special events and productions held at The Nest. Associate Technicians are ambassadors for the Society when dealing with rentals, presentations, and volunteers.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Occasionally, may be asked to consult and provide an opinion on technical
documents, including load-in and tech week schedules, lighting paperwork, ground plans and sound documents
• Operate lighting and sound systems for theatre, dance, music, and other productions and projects
• Facilitate the use of the technical requirements by the resident company and others engaged by or renting the facility
• Monitor the condition of the lighting and sound equipment and report any deficiencies to the Cultural Concierge in a timely manner
• Coordinate activities with Front of House Managers on-shift
• Coordinate activities with the Lead Technician scheduled for same-rentals when on shift
• Supervise and assist with set stage installation as needed
• Assist guest designers and creative artists with all technical matters
• Supervise crew as needed
• Maintain the backstage and technical areas of the theatre
• Ensure safety of crew, volunteers, clients, audiences, and fellow staff to the best of their ability
• Following established safety protocols
• Other duties as required
• Ability to lift 50 pounds
• Proficient in programming and operation of computer lighting boards (ETC Ion and Element) and all components of the lighting system
• Proficient in sound mixing of up to 3-5 performers/instruments for performances with the understanding that a sound designer will lead initial setup and collaborate on programming
• Basic proficiency in Qlab (editing, mixing, programming)
• Proficient in MacOS
• Proficient in video projector operation and focus using the house projector
• Able to read and understand Lighting designer plots and associated paperwork
• Able to work heights, including on A-Frame ladder
• Strong time management skills and the ability to multi-task with little supervision
• Ability to troubleshoot, problem-solve, and work calmly under pressure
• Excellent client and artist communication skills, both written and verbal
• Asset: 1-2 years of experience a technician at a theatre
• Valid OFA Level 1 certification at minimum
• Live Performance Electrical Certificate (LPEC) Certification
• WHIMIS Certification
Hours worked depend on activities programmed into the venue.
Salary: $20.00 to $22.00 per hour, commensurate with experience.
Please email your resume with cover letter to . No phone calls, please.
The Granville Island Theatre District Society (GITD) is a non-profit society founded by Boca Del Lupo and Carousel Theatre for Young People with the vision to create a robust, lively theatre district on Granville Island. Our goal is to embrace innovation in the arts by creating a more dynamic, risk-enabling and resilient cultural community as defined in Granville Island’s 2040 plan. Our vision is to create unique and understandable identities for each of the spaces. Performance Works as a contemporary performance venue equipped with state-of-the-art gear, the Waterfront Theatre as accessible for families, and The NEST as an incubator for new and emergent work.
The five guiding principles of the GITD are
1. Connecting audiences and artists through facilitating interchange between
audiences and artists to create a more fulsome experience where both audiences feel “at home” in the theatre, and artists are empowered to create relevant work;
2. Nurturing collaboration between artistic companies that ensures heightened access to resources, bolsters creativity, and creates a sense of shared purpose. We succeed together;
3. Encouraging artistic integrity by welcoming artistic practice that is innovative, relevant, and diligent;
4. Cultivating creative opportunities for production, development of work, and development of practice that enhances the local industry and encourages artistic excellence; and
5. Prioritizing place-making by putting the community at the centre of our work and making the user experience our priority. We will strive to enhance the community orientation, adaptability, responsiveness, and inclusiveness of all GITD-managed facilities.