This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Design
Would you like to play a meaningful role with North America’s leading classical repertory theatre? At the Stratford Festival, we attract the world’s finest talent, offering a unique experience for staff, artists and actors alike. If you would like to be a part of this exciting organization, we are looking for someone to fill the role of:
This position reports to the Design Coordinator and is part of the Design team.
• Assist the Designer on a specific production by following through the visual aspects of the production, research and acquisition of photographic reference and forward this information to the various departments and craftspeople
• Assist in the building of the set model
• Interpret drawings for costumes, props and sets
• Contribute to secondary design decisions in the event of the Designer's absence. In the case of the Designer's inability to complete, the Assistant Designer will make all visual decisions in the spirit of the original design
• Accompany Designer on buying trips
• Consult with Buyer on the execution of shopping and completion of custom forms
• Work as a costume set/prop assistant
• Compile all paperwork for archiving of production
• Experience working as a Designer or Assistant Designer in a theatre environment
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
• Proficient in Photoshop, AutoCAD and Microsoft Office Suite
• Experience with costume/set design
Preference will be given to candidates with formal training in Design, Theatre Production or a related field.
This seasonal contract position is located in Stratford, Ontario and will begin January 2020.
Job Type: 4-5 month seasonal contract
Recognizing that diversity – in our workplace, in our audiences and on our stages – fosters a rich and creative environment; we welcome applicants with disabilities and are committed to accommodating them throughout the recruitment and hiring process. We encourage all qualified applicants to submit a résumé and cover letter in a single PDF by August 12, 2019 to:
Subject: Assistant Designer
Located in Stratford, Ontario, Canada, we are North America’s largest classical repertory theatre company. Each season, we present a dozen or more productions in four distinctive venues. We produce classics, contemporary dramas and musicals, with special emphasis on the plays of Shakespeare.