This is a Temporary, Part-time position.Category: Technical
C.U.P.E. Local 3338 - Temporary Position
THEATRE PRODUCTION TECHNICIAN, GRADE 9
PERFORMANCE VENUES – WOODWARD’S – SFU VANCOUVER
Be part of our technical team supporting professional performances in our new Performance Venues, SFU Vancouver Campus, Woodward’s Complex. We encourage SFU students to apply for temporary part-time (less than 35 hours/week) positions as priority is given to qualified SFU students who are registered in credit courses in the semester of employment.
Please note: Assignments are for 3 months or less, including weekends. Hours of work will vary. This position is located at Woodward’s, 149 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC.
As directed by the Manager, Production & Technical Services, the Theatre Production Technician assists in the delivery of technical services to support all events within the SFU Vancouver Campus Woodward’s Performance Complex. Maintains a presence on site during performances, exhibitions, and events, as assigned by the Manager, Production & Technical Services. Applies thorough specialist technical knowledge of at least one aspect of theatre production (e.g., lighting, audio, video, costumes, props, stage management, rigging, and stage carpentry), to ensure the provision of high quality technical services and support for all theatre productions. Acts as group lead responsible for coordinating the Junior Theatre Production Technicians in the operation, installation, and maintenance of technical equipment and systems, as assigned by the Manager, Production and Technical Services, Faculty, and the Resident Theatre Technicians. Performs other related duties consistent with position title and classification.
-**High school graduation and two years of post-secondary education with a Certificate or Diploma in Technical Theatre Production, with training in at least one aspect of theatre production (e.g., lighting, audio, video,
costumes, props, stage management, rigging, and stage carpentry).
-**4 years of related experience.
- Good knowledge of theatrical and performance technologies, systems, and practices.
- Thorough specialist technical knowledge of at least one aspect of theatre production (e.g., lighting, audio, video, costumes, props, stage management, rigging, and stage carpentry).
- Good knowledge of Environmental Heath & Safety and Work Safe BC safety protocols and practices in addition to the safety protocols standard to the performance industry.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and client relations skills.
- Ability to operate personnel lifts, dollies, risers, platforms, decking, drapery, chain motors, pulleys, ropes, cables, and other such devices.
- Ability to interpret drafted floor plans, plots, and elevations.
- Ability to climb and to work at heights.
- Ability to coordinate, train, motivate, and provide direction to technical staff and crew.
- Ability to coordinate the work of others in a fast paced environment within strict timelines.
- Ability to appreciate and support the delivery of educational opportunities.
- Ability to work flexible schedule including early mornings, evenings, and weekends, and to work extended hours, as required.
- Ability to lift and carry equipment up to 25 kg.
**or an equivalent combination of formal education, certificate/program of study and experience is acceptable.
SFU’s Human Resources accepts applications for Technician positions in the SFU Vancouver Campus, Woodward’s Performance Complex on an ongoing basis. Please submit only one application per semester.
Salary: HOURLY SALARY:: $24.46
Resumes may be sent to the attention of Sheva Bridgmohan, Human Resources Advisor, Simon Fraser University, Human Resources, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, B.C. V5A 1S6 or fax number (778) 782-4381. If you wish to e-mail your application, please follow the instructions at http://www.sfu.ca/hr/prospective_employees/HowToApply.html. If these e-mail instructions are not followed, your application may not be processed correctly. Please indicate that you are applying for the Technician position, and your availability. Human Resources office hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.