This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
As a member of the Production team, the Technical Director (TD), English Theatre is responsible for the efficient operation of the technical aspects of productions created, mounted or presented at the NAC. The TD is accountable to manage available resources to ensure that all productions go up on time and on budget. This position directs the creation of productions at the NAC; helps overcome the technical and logistical challenges for visiting companies transferring productions to the NAC, as well as works as part of an overall technical team to ensure efficiently produced, quality shows on all stages of the NAC. The ideal incumbent is willing to commit to the long term development of their own technical, leadership, interpersonal and managerial proficiencies. Team skills are of critical importance in dealing with workers, Heads of Department, Craftspeople, Production staff, artists and clients. This position requires the incumbent to work in all genres of live performance.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience in a similar role;
- Familiarity with all aspects and genres of live performance;
- Experience in running theatrical productions;
- Thorough knowledge of stage lighting, audio, video and special effects;
- Experience in leading and supervising crews in an unionized environment;
- Working knowledge of applicable regulations and working conditions of performers unions, (CAEA, ADC, AFM, UDA, APASQ, etc);
- Ability to create technical drawings used in the construction of scenery and props;
- Experience in overseeing the creation and construction of scenery, props and costumes;
- Experience in estimating materials and labour for the construction of scenery, props and costumes;
- Thorough knowledge of codes and regulations that apply in a theatrical environment as well as best practices in health and safety;
- Capacity to work effectively with artists, clients and colleagues with diverse experience and levels of skill;
- Demonstrated initiative and sound judgement;
- Exceptional computer skills, including the Microsoft Office suite and AutoCAD LT;
- Possess a valid driver’s license or ability to obtain a licence within three months of employment;
- Certification in Fall Arrest, Forklift Operation, Arial Platform Operation, Pyrotechnics Certificate, Firearms Possession and Acquisition Licence are an asset;
- Asset: Bilingual in both official languages.
Regular attendance at work is an expectation of employment and an essential part of every job.
Who can apply?
Canadian citizens residing in Canada and abroad. Candidates invited to an interview will be responsible for all travel and accommodation expenses. If relocation is required, the successful candidate will be expected to pay for his/her relocation expenses.
As an employer who values diversity in its workforce, we encourage candidates to self-identify as members of the following designated groups: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.
If you are a person with a disability and require accommodation for an interview or written exam, please advise us when initially contacted.
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for interview will be contacted.
How to apply?
Please submit your application online through our Careers section at www.nac-cna.ca or by email at
Salary: $73,300 to $98,900
The National Arts Centre is more than a place, it’s an idea. It’s the idea the National Arts Centre should work with artists and arts organizations in every part of the country to provide a national stage for the performing arts.
The National Arts Centre is a home for Canada’s most creative artists and strives to be more artistically adventurous.
The National Arts Centre: Canada is our stage.