This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Design
The Department of Theatre and Film at PSU invites applications for the position of resident scenographer. We seek a colleague with a proven record of excellence in teaching and creative activity, and strong leadership and organizational skills, to collaborate in a praxis-oriented School of Fine and Performing Arts. The department, which is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Theatre, has a strong commitment to diversity, and in that spirit, seeks a broad spectrum of candidates.
• Teach scenic design and other specialty courses in production to upper division and graduate students.
• Design or supervise scenery and/or lighting for a minimum of one production per quarter.
• Mentoring student designers
• supervise properties acquisitions and charge painter for in-load design assignments
• Work closely with performance and other design/technology faculty and staff.
• Engage in departmental, school, university, and community collaborations;
• Conduct significant external scholarly/creative activity.
• Master of Fine Arts in Scenography plus 3 years of applicable teaching and professional service.
• Demonstrated and continuing creative agenda in professional stage and film design and production.
• Valid driver’s license
• Preference given to those having film design/production experience, expertise in teaching scene painting, makeup, costume design, and/or sound design and production, experience in film design/production, program leadership, and USA membership.
See full description and application instructions at www.pdx.edu/hr under “Employment Opportunities.” PSU is an AA/EO Institution and welcomes applications from diverse candidates & candidates who support diversity. Review of applications will begin October 1, 2011. To make an appointment for an informational interview at the Victoria Conference August 11-13, contact
Applications with curriculum vitae, letter of interest including statement of academic philosophy and creative agenda, and approach to scenography, and three letters of reference to Search Committee Chair, Department of Theatre and Film, Portland State University, P.O. Box 751, Portland, OR 97207-0751, email@example.com.
THE DEPARTMENT OF THEATRE AND FILM: The department offers the MA/MS and BA/BS in Theater Arts, the BA/BS in Film, and MA/MS in Interdisciplinary Studies – Film Studies. Additionally, it offers Minors in Theater Arts, Dance, and Film Studies. There are 10 full-time faculty and approximately 15 part-time faculty, 2 staff, and approximately 450 majors. The department is heavily engaged in the metropolitan urban arts community and dedicated to the evolving nature of the performing arts. It produces an annual season of stage performances in Lincoln Hall on the PSU campus. It is located in the School of Fine and Performing Arts, which incorporates the Departments of Architecture, Art, Music, and Theatre and Film.
PORTLAND STATE UNIVERSITY: The largest university in the Oregon University System, Portland State University has an enrollment of over 30,000 students. Located in the cultural district in the center of a vigorous and beautiful city, the University shares its goals and talents with the metropolitan area from which it draws the majority of its students.