This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Production
• Work with Set and Prop Designers on YPT Productions. Provide advice and guidance regarding
specific construction techniques, materials, finishes etc.
• Work closely with wardrobe department on specialty costume builds
• Ensure flow of information between prop department, designers, technical director, stage
management, and other production departments. Attend all production and staff meetings as required
• Manage prop department staffing, schedules, and budgets.
• Serve as the builder and buyer for the props department and/or supervise a designate builder
• Instruct prop department staff in the proper use of shop tools and the appropriate safety
• Order, organize and maintain supplies, materials and tools in the shop.
• Maintain general cleanliness and safe working state of the shop.
• Maintain YPT stock props and co-ordinate any outside prop rentals.
• Assist other YPT departments with advice and technical aid.
• Graduate of a recognized theatre program and a minimum of 3 years experience as a Head of
Props, Props Builder or Props Buyer with a producing theatre company.
• Broad working knowledge of props construction techniques as they relate to materials (wood,
plastic, fabric, paper, etc).
• Proficient computer skills with Word and Excel programs. Computer Graphics knowledge would be
• Experience with show costing, budget tracking, material purchasing, and equipment replacement.
• Experience in creating production schedules and managing shop staff.
• Strong communication, interpersonal, collaborative and leadership abilities and ability to
• A Valid Ontario Class G Driver’s license (or equivalent) is required.
• Experience in adhering to health and safety in the workplace.
In accordance with YPT’s policy of screening all adults involved in working with children, the applicant will be required to provide a résumé and cover letter, undergo an interview by at least two people, complete a reference check and, if offered employment, obtain a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check. Offers of employment are conditional upon providing a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening Check and agreeing to abide by YPT'S Child Safety Policy and Code of Conduct.
Young People’s Theatre is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer and strongly supports and values diversity in the workplace. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline is June 15, 2016
Interviews with qualified candidates may begin prior to the deadline. While we thank everyone who applies, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested parties should apply with cover letter and résumé, detailing all relevant experience to:
Head of Properties Search
Young People’s Theatre
165 Front Street East
Toronto, ON M5A 3Z4
Young People’s Theatre (YPT), celebrating its 50th Anniversary Season in 2015/16, is Canada’s largest theatre for young audiences. It currently produces and presents a 9-play season with an audience of approximately 70,000. Housed in a renovated, historical venue in downtown Toronto, YPT works on a 468-seat Mainstage and a 115-seat Studio stage as well as operating a year-round Drama School. Its operating budget is approximately $5 million. The family-friendly employee culture at YPT (given that hours are primarily daytime) encourages ingenuity, team-work, and an atmosphere of learning. YPT’s artistic
policy focuses on arts and education – in fact, learning is at the centre of everything we do. YPT is currently searching for a candidate to fill the position of Interim Head of Properties. The Interim Head of Properties will report to the Director of Production and Technical Director. The term of this contract is approximately nine months starting in August 2016, in order to
cover a maternity/parental leave.